PDA

View Full Version : help with choosing the right skimmer

vince0
05-08-2010, 04:44 PM
hi all, im in the process of planning a new reef 90g with a 45g sump. im curious as to wether i need to include amount of water in the sump when choosing a skimmer. to simplify should i look for a skimmer with a 100g capacity or 150g? Also, i am new to salt water and im curious as to wether anyone could recomend any specific brand/type of skimmer over another.

thanks in advance,

vince

Bloodasp
05-08-2010, 05:16 PM
If you want to be precise it is your total water volume minus all your rocks, sand equipment etc. which is pretty complicated to figure out. So just add half your sump volume and your tank's water volume and go with a skimmer which is equal or larger than that.

vince0
05-08-2010, 05:28 PM
oh ok thank you!

do you recommend going for a bubble magus skimmer? i seem to be reading great reviews of this perticular piece of equipment and im also wondering if there are any suppliers in calgary?

again, any help is much appeciated :biggrin:!

thanks,

vince

Bloodasp
05-08-2010, 05:33 PM
It was the first one I wanted to get but the size i needed were always out of stock during the time I was looking for one, I guess the demand skyrocketed. Vertex is also a good one which is the one I got.

bvlester
05-08-2010, 06:03 PM
total water volume minus all your rocks, sand equipment etc as stated above. I would get the best you can afford. I would get one that was for a higher water volume lets say you needed 150g I would get a skimmer rated for 200 - 250. This would give you some the ability to upgrade some without buying another skimmer, the skimmer will work more efficient rather than trying to drive the skimmer to it's maximum potential.
I have read on many forums from people that have used and tested many skimmers that some manufacturers over rate their skimmers. There is exception of a few that seem to under rate their skimmers. So I would buy a brand that is a well known brand that has good to great reviews. I like the conico cone skimmers that have been produced in the last few years. If things start to turn around I will be buying one and trying it out they are supposed to be very good skimmers.

Bill