PDA

View Full Version : Chromis' spawning

Snappy
05-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Not sure what triggered this but my chromis's are spawning like crazy today. There are a few corals that had some die off that I was going to cut off this weekend but now this is where the chromis's decidided to lay their eggs. What is cool is the fish are schooled together about a foot away from where the eggs are being laid and the male swims over and keeps bringing different females over to the area which make a protrusion from her under side that she rubs along the rock (dead coral) and then the male follows right behind her rubbing his protrusion on the same area that is now covered in white looking spots. I've never seen this before and thought it was pretty cool so I thought I'd share the story. I did get a little video but my camera is analogue and my "still shot" digital camera battery was dead. If they are still at it later today I'll snap a few shots once my battery charges.

Delphinus
05-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Neat. :)

muck
05-07-2010, 07:45 PM
MASS ORGY at GREG'S HOUSE!!! :lol:

muck
05-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Too bad your digicam was dead.

Did you get any vids with your iphone?

Snappy
05-07-2010, 11:21 PM
No but someone responded on my Reef Central build thread with some great pictures of Chromis spawning in his tank. Take a look at this link.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17070009&postcount=1502

Zoaelite
05-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I have never heard of Chromis spawning in captivity so great job Greg!!! Guess they think your tank is the real thing, any plans to raise the babies?

On a similar note have you ever had Bangii's spawn on you? I found 3 babies in the tank yesterday and the male has a mouth packed full of others think I should be doing anything special for him?

Lance
05-08-2010, 02:09 AM
Greg, my Chromis spawn regularly. They always spawn on the same spot: the glass on the end of the tank, and guard the eggs very diligently. Very funny to see such a little fish chase off a 7" Lunare Wrasse and 6" Harlequin Tuskfish.

Snappy
05-08-2010, 05:35 AM
I have never heard of Chromis spawning in captivity so great job Greg!!! Guess they think your tank is the real thing, any plans to raise the babies?

On a similar note have you ever had Bangii's spawn on you? I found 3 babies in the tank yesterday and the male has a mouth packed full of others think I should be doing anything special for him?They are great fish, I used to have some cardinals that spawned a lot and I'd get another pair to replace them but I don't have the time and patience these days to train them to eat pellets. In my tank if fish don't hunt for pods or eat pellets they starve.

Doug
05-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi Greg. Congrats on the chromis spawn. Mine did spawn way back when. If you recall that huge encrusting gsp colony shown in my old tank when it was featured on rc, one of my chromis pairs lived in the back of that colony and layed eggs several times.

Like my current clowns, never seen any hatchlings though. Actually back in the '90,s I had a pair of those yellow tail blue damsels that spawned regular and chewed my fingers just as regular.

It would be nice to see some babies of any of the mentioned, survive by hiding somewhere in the tank,s corals. No luck for me there, except my bangaii fry that got into the 30in. deep overflows with rubble in my 225g.