PDA

View Full Version : How high should my aquarium water level be?

Milad
05-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Im about to put in the overflow boxes in my tank and before I lock them in I want to get a feeler on how high should my water level be? 2 inches from top? I have a wavebox if that makes a difference.

I was planning on having them right where the black trim starts which is about 2inches from very top of tank.

bvlester
05-07-2010, 06:24 AM
I don't have a wave box and mine is about 1 to 1.5 inches from the top so 2 inches is probably fine. But I would wate till I heard from someone that has used a wave box. I use my powr heads to make a wave action and timers.

Bill

abcha0s
05-08-2010, 02:47 AM
You didn't mention the length of your tank or whether you have a standard or nano wavebox? - This is relevant as it will determine the maximum hieght of the wave you can generate. Assuming you can easily generate a 2-3 inch wave in your tank, the question then is how big of a wave do you really want?

If you are aiming for a 2" wave, then your pivot point will need to be about 1.25" below the top of the tank. This is 1" for the wave and .25" for safety. Your overflow should then be put so that the top of the waterline without the wave is at 1.25" below the top of the tank. Your return pump will play a role here as a big return pump will push the water level above the overflow more than a small return pump.

Remember the waves are adjustable within a range as determined by your tank. Where you mount the overflow is one of these factors as it sets the pivot point and determines the maximum wave hieght.

Waves are an interesting thing. You may decide that you don't like looking at the water level rocking back and forth. You may want the wave to be hidden behind the trim. This might mean that you can't create as big a wave as you were hoping, but you might not get sea sick looking at your tank. I guess this also depends on whether you have a canopy.

Are you aware of the structural considerations for tanks with wave boxes?

Good luck with your projects! - At the end of the day, put it at wherever hieght you want. Just make sure that it is dead centre in the tank (pivot point).

Milad
05-08-2010, 03:00 AM
my tank is 6 feet long. My wave box is the big one. Return pump is small. Sicca 5 I believe I don't really want a huge wave and I don't want to see to much of it. No canopy

so basically I should decided the size of the wave an split it in half and add .25?

What kind of issuses does a wave cause on a tank?

abcha0s
05-08-2010, 03:23 AM
That's basically right. decide the size of the wave and split it in half then add 1/4". You might add another 1/8" for the hieght of the water over the overflow. This number will tell you how far below the top of the tank to place the top of the overflow.

Waves will stress your tank. Tunze suggests a reduction in the overall life of the tank and cautions against using them on older tanks.