PDA

View Full Version : looking at setting up new tank

vince0
05-06-2010, 11:10 PM
hi everyone,

im in the process of planning for a new tank, and i don't have any experience with sumps, overflows and skimmers and the such. I have ordered the aquarium reef: volume 3, which should be in my mailbox today according to chapters. Is there any online sources anyone could recommend for this kind of information. a lot of the links in the referrence library seem to be dead...

xtreme
05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Check out www.melevsreef.com he has a good site with some good info on how sumps works and different designs for them.

vince0
05-06-2010, 11:29 PM
thank you :mrgreen:

christyf5
05-07-2010, 12:17 AM
if you find more broken links just use the reported post button and I can try to update them :biggrin:

kien
05-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Try this site (http://www.canreef.com). There's a lot of great discussions on all the topics/subjects you listed. Can't find something with the search function? No problem! Just start a new thread and ask your question. :-). Places like that are much more valuable than books In my humble opinion. Books typically have one opinion where forums can present many more. Although this could be a bad thing too I suppose.. :lol:.

At any rate, good luck and remember to have fun :-D

Milad
05-07-2010, 02:29 AM
o young padawan. I was in your position 5 weeks ago when i joined canreef, now, i almost have water in my tank!!

do searches here, ask questions, people usually answer (and when i say people i really mean kien).

rjengen
05-07-2010, 03:38 AM
You don't need books man...there are people here, who know so much, and love to share their knowledge with us newcomers to the reef world. There are a lot of great topics here, and if you are ever in doubt...just ask...And Welcome to canreef!

Milad
05-07-2010, 04:22 AM
i recommend putting books near the john. Good reading material while you are taking a break.

vince0
05-07-2010, 02:39 PM
haha thanks for the replies guys, im still planning to keep posting, but im a fan of hard copies, this way links don't die and information doesn't dissapear on someones whim. anywho, im just in the process of drafting out tank/sump/stand rough plans so im sure there will be pictures posted so you guys can give me your input

Ron99
05-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I would say the books are a great starting point to give you the basic concepts. Once you have a grasp of the basics you can then ask questions and plan etc. Here are two books I suggest:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/New-Marine-Aquarium-Step-step-Michael-D-Paletta/9781890087524-item.html?__lang=en-CA&ref=Browse+History%3a+CWBAB

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-2nd-Edition-Robert-M-Fenner/9781890087999-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+%2527conscientious++ marine%2527

The first is available at he Surrey public library so you could check your library for good books too.

vince0
05-07-2010, 05:30 PM
im interested in these 2 books, im just curious as to how word heavy the second book is :)

DiverDude
05-07-2010, 08:18 PM
+1 on the Conscientious Marine Aquariast; it's a very level-headed and responsible book. It's written for everyone; you don't need a PhD to understand it. It's no 'Dummies' book either though.

vince0
05-08-2010, 12:37 AM
well sounds like im getting this book then eh? thanks guys, the reason why i ask if it word heavy is casue the girlfriend won't enjoy it as much, i still thoroughly enjoy a good read!