PDA

View Full Version : Water not clear

hapki88
05-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Been running a 65g tank for about 8 weeks and just can't seem to clear the water. Always seeing fine dust particles, sort of like when you move a rock or kick up sand and its cloudy for awhile, but it ALWAYS like that in my tank. I've tried Purigen but no change. Anyone have this problem before?

sitandwatch
05-06-2010, 04:41 PM
I found that putting a filter sock on my return helped in my new tank.

Madreefer
05-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Could it possibly be micro bubbles?

BlueWorldAquatic
05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Don't think it's microbubbles as when mentioned it clouds the water when a rock is moved.

If you have a sump, put a filter sock in, or use a product like Pro-Clear Marine Clarifier by Kent. I know it did wonders for us when we set up our Display Tank.

To prevent cloudy water avoid overcrowding, do not overfeed fish, perform regular water changes and maintain sufficient filtration and water circulation.

Ken - BWA

hapki88
05-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I've checked for microbubbles and its definately not that. I have also been using several polishing filters which turn deep green and clogged up in about 2 hours (and getting expensive). I'll give the filter sock a try and hope that things settle down over time. Only have two clowns in the tank and they don't seem to mind at the moment.

rjengen
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I would give the socks a try...I have 3 of them, and rotate them. When one get's dirty, and pull it out, turn it inside out and toss it in the washing machine and wash it in bleach...it's worth a try.

Zoaelite
05-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I found the combination of NP Biopellets, carbon and a large filter sock to do the trick.

DiverDude
05-06-2010, 06:38 PM
I just added a DIY sump and put a filter sock in it and the difference was amazing. Now when something gets stirred-up, it clears quickly.

You might also try running some carbon to see if that helps.

Are you using RO water or tap ?

hapki88
05-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I use RO water and have been changing around 10% each week. Would I have to run new carbon since its only about 8 weeks old, or can I give it a good rinse?

I like the filter sock idea although I've never actually seen one. How long do they last?

sitandwatch
05-06-2010, 08:48 PM
The filter sock is reusable but depending on the tank you have to clean it once a week.

I just take it off and spray it out, I have heard of putting it in the wash but I have no desire to think that what was in the sock is now in my wash

Gaffer
05-06-2010, 09:40 PM
I was also having water clarity problems and out some and 100g pouch of Purigen in my filter and it did wonders. Give it 36-48 hours to work.

Nice thing is that it is also rechargable.

Andrew

Bloodasp
05-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Carbon needs to be replaced every month otherwise it would just release the impurities it has adsorbed.

DiverDude
05-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Here's a pic of a sock: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=pm-fb10016r

They're made of an industrial nylon-like material -pretty robust. I'd agree that I wouldn't wash them in a machine but they're not super hard to clean. Well worth the effort !