PDA

View Full Version : J&L Mailing List?

Son Of Skyline
10-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Is anyone on the J&L mailing list? I just tried to sign up and I guess I had already done it some time ago as my email address was already on it. Problem is I don't believe I've ever received anything from this list, so I assumed I wasn't on it. Has anyone ever gotten anything from the mailing list? Just curious...thanks.

Buccaneer
10-29-2003, 08:53 PM
I got a notice from them recently saying they were in the midst of a move.

Cheers

Jason McK
10-29-2003, 08:58 PM
Ya so did I. Before the big move I would get an e-mail every couple of weeks

J

Jason McK
10-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Ya so did I. Before the big move I would get an e-mail every couple of weeks

J

Son Of Skyline
10-29-2003, 09:25 PM
That's odd. I've never gotten anything! Oh well. I believe I just resubscribed so we'll see what happens.

Quinn
10-29-2003, 09:38 PM
I send out regular newsletters to a student group at my school, and I find that often individuals will not receive the emails if they are using a web-based email provider, as these often have a built-in spam checker. Because both spam and newsletters are often BCC'd (blank carbon copied), and J&L's most assuredly is, I would check to see if their newsletters are being filtered out before you receive them. This likely isn't a concern if you are using a POP3 or IMAP-based email application such as Outlook, although Shaw may have a spam-filter on their email servers...

dekay
10-29-2003, 10:09 PM
My hotmail account gets them without any probs.

Jack
10-29-2003, 10:34 PM
My hotmail account gets them without any probs.

Same.

I bet it's getting filterd out cause it thinks it's junkmail. Tisk tisk, far from it! :lol:

Bartman
10-29-2003, 10:42 PM
I get them on my Yahoo account too.

LostMind
10-30-2003, 03:21 AM
I run my own mail server with no spam filters (due to owning my own hosting company) I have been signed up with J&L for maybe 6 months now and I have received 1 mailer from them (got their signup email tho).

I think their mailing is very sporadic or their mail list software sucks :)

Samw
10-30-2003, 03:32 AM
I've been receiving their emails with no problems. I also run my own mail server.

I would suggest that they set up a message board like phpBB for announcements rather than use a mailing list. But that's just my opinion. Actually, some BB software will send an Email out to a mailing list after a message is posted. So all they would have to do is post a message to their announcement forum and an email is automatically sent out to everyone on their mailing list.

The benefit is that users who didn't get the Email could still read the announcements on their website's forum.

LostMind
10-30-2003, 09:58 AM
That makes a lot of sense SamW :)

Someone should make that suggestion to the boys at J&L...

DiscusZ
11-01-2003, 02:25 PM
it could also be that if JL's provider is on a "SH!T" list and ISP's are using this SH!T list the message will get blocked.. We see this all the time where messages get filtered because the site people are using send out alot of SPAM.

Jim

www.hribnak.com/reef.html

(Live web cam, pictures of my tank etc)

Samw
11-01-2003, 05:13 PM
it could also be that if JL's provider is on a "SH!T" list and ISP's are using this SH!T list the message will get blocked.. We see this all the time where messages get filtered because the site people are using send out alot of SPAM.

That is 1 possible explanation. I use list.dsbl.org, sbl.spamhaus.org, and bl.spamcop.net as my blacklists FYI so they aren't blacklisted there.

Samw
11-01-2003, 05:27 PM
That makes a lot of sense SamW :)

Someone should make that suggestion to the boys at J&L...

Thanks. I'm sure they're reading this.

What I've set up at work is the Discus board software from DiscusWare. I set up some forums such as the Buy and Sell forum such that whenver someone posts a message to buy or sell something, it'll send an Email with the message to everyone on the buyandsell mailing list in the company. People who aren't subscribed can also read the messages at their leisure by going to the website forum.

I'm not sure if PHPBB has this Email notification feature. I haven't seen it when I helped someone set one up.

LostMind
11-01-2003, 07:21 PM
I am pretty sure you can send an email to all members using phpbb. I have it installed somewhere... I'll try and go find it :)