PDA

View Full Version : What type of T5 lighting would you recommend?

mechano
05-06-2010, 01:14 AM
I got a general question about lighting as I am considering the plunge into the T5 world, and finally giving up the MH end.

My questions are:
What would you choose for lighting if your tank was:
24 inches deep and I am looking to stock this new system with generally LPS, softies, and maybe(probably not) some easier to keep acros/sps.
The few I have researched so far include the Tek T5 system with 8 bulbs, and the one with 6 bulbs, I also researched the nova fixtures with 8 and 6 bulbs, I also like the Icecap 6 bulb fixture, but I honestly think if I buy the Icecap fixture my wife will kill/divorce me.

What do you all think? 6 bulb fixture enough? Or the 8 bulb?
(tank dimensions are 48x18x24 inches)
Would you choose Tek, or Nova systems? Do you have a better system that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance
Ryan

Starry
05-06-2010, 01:18 AM
tek 6 lamp.

fishytime
05-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Tek "elite" (actively cooled) or if the budget allows ATI:wink:

mechano
05-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Is it a 6 or 8 bulb fixture with the elite system? Also does anyone recommend a certain online store to purchase lighting? Thanks all for the very quick replies.

bignose
05-06-2010, 01:30 AM
If your only keeping softies I would go with a 6 bulb

mechano
05-06-2010, 01:45 AM
I urrently am running a 250 watt MH but need more equalized light than MH can provide right now. I currently have multiple Lps and softies and a few sps but wanna keep everything happy. So u would recommend more than a 6 bulb system?

dynamite
05-06-2010, 02:13 AM
Ati powermodule or sunpower :mrgreen:

mechano
05-07-2010, 08:43 PM
any other opinions on fixtures guys? I think I have my wife convinced to spend a little money on decent stuff so hit me with your personal experience and opinions about the BEST fixture for my set up ! thanks guys.
I must say too that I am really enjoying the friendliness of this forum opposed to a certain "other" forum more ontario's way and just wanted to say I appeciate and value your advice.:biggrin:

Jfish
05-07-2010, 09:11 PM
I just recently got into saltwater tanks so I am by no means an expert. My tank is roughly the same size. I too was torn between the nova extreme and the tek fixtures. From the research I did the tek fixtures are of better quality, they have idividual reflectors for each bulb where as the nova fixtures have a parabolic reflector that isn't as effective. I wasn't sure about six or eight bulbs but eventually decieded that if I had good success starting out that i'd probably want to get other coral with more light demands.

I decieded to go with the 8x54w Nova Extreme fixture. I went with the Nova Extreme because the eight bulb tek fixture was two inches too wide for my tank. I think the individual reflectors take up more space than one general reflector. I would have had an inch overhang on each side which I didn't really like and the price on the nova extreme was right for me. This might not be an issue if you go the six bulb route but something you might want to check into.

Looking back with my purchase I am pretty happy. It puts out ample light for all my LPS and softies. The built in moon lights are nice although mine came with white led's and not blue ones. I think I might have prefered blue but something I can always add on myself. My one and only knock on the Nova fixture would be fan noise. When all eight bulbs are on and both fans are turning there is a hum from the fixture but since this is my first tank I dont have anything to compare it to. I know the noise is there but its something I can live with.

mechano
05-07-2010, 09:53 PM
thank u for your personal experience with these light systems. they all seem to have their ups and downs, so getting more info is the key in this hobby lol.

Canuckgod420
05-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I have T5 over my tank and couldnt be happier. I run the Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb fixture( only running 7 bulbs due to overhang) and I am allmost all SPS. The only complaint I have about this fixture is the are no built in fans, so I built my own fan rack using computer fans and they are dead quite.

T5's all the WAY!!!:lol:

blacknife
05-07-2010, 11:28 PM
the nova extreme pro's have either individual or one that is stamped into individual shapes, have not really looked but it is not one big parabolic. got a 6x39 used a month ago and i am happy with it so far. I think the aquamedic ones have some nice features too, not sure what the looks or cost of them is though.

mechano
05-15-2010, 04:40 AM
thanks for the info, but I decided to take the plunge into the T5 world for real and purchased the TEK Elite 6x54w fixture.
We will see how things go in the months to come

chris88
05-15-2010, 10:46 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63770

burtonpj48
05-16-2010, 12:29 AM
I have the same tank dimensions. I am using the nova extreme 6 bulbs, with KZ lights. Its been about a year and a half now. Its my first tank, so i cant offer any comparison. I have a toadstool and colt coral, also a bubble lps coral, a pulsing zenia, spaghetti leather and a clove polyp. All my corals doubled or trippled in size, within one year. I dont know if its solely due to the lighting. It could also be due to water quality althou when i test for phosphates, my reading is zero. I am happy with the fixture. To me, my corals are growing too fast. I would rather they grow less, so i can enjoy them more at their smaller size. My toadstool was 6 inches across when i purchased it, now its 14" The colt also was about 6-7 inches tall when i purchased it. now its 16" tall.