PDA

View Full Version : tips for aquascaping?

props
10-29-2003, 04:58 AM
neone got any tips on how to do it properly
got a bit of corals on the tank now so i just want to change rock formation
and probably take a couple of inches of sand out at the same time
got buckets ready to go
just concerned about my fishes =o(

should i do it like this
ie.
syphon some water off
remove corals n place 'em n containers
take rocks out
catch em fish
take sand out
?
i'm also thinking about taking the fishes out at night
it'd be a lot easier to catch them
xcept the ones hiding underneath 'em rock

ne suggestions would be much appreciated guys

thanks

Jack
10-29-2003, 08:28 AM
How big of a tank? How many and what type of fish? You can probably arrange your rock with everything still swimming in the tank.

You can syphon off sand too, so you won't make as much of a mess. Is it the fine sugar sand you're using?

Jedi68
10-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Good point Jack...I would suggest that you use a siphon to remove your sand.
I have made a few major rock re-arrangements. I usually remove the corals first so I don't risk the chance of damaging them. From there, I put on the creative hat and make the changes. While I have the canopy off, I do a water change. Put the corals back and everyone is happy :smile: .

props
10-29-2003, 04:49 PM
tank's 48x24x18
have fine sugar sand n crushed corals

got a 1 tang 5 damsel 2 skunk clows 1 sixline wrasse

Aquattro
10-29-2003, 05:46 PM
should i do it like this
ie.
syphon some water off
remove corals n place 'em n containers
take rocks out
catch em fish
take sand out

Basically, that is what I did. I siphoned enough to half fill a 75g tank and then placed corals in it. When I ran out of room, I half filled a 40g and added the remainder of the corals to it. I took a heater from the main tank and added it to the 75. I added a 50w heater to the 40. Both had power heads.
I then removed the rock and filled 4 rubbermaid tubs. I topped these off with the rest of the water (after removing fish to 75g).
The rock had no heat or circulation.
I removed the sand from the tank and disposed of it.
I went to bed.
The next morning I added one bag of sand to the tank and started to replace rock. After building the basic structure of rock, I started pumping tank water back in the tank.
Realized I had a serious milk problem and couldn't see a thing in the tank.

I started to add corals back to the main tank becuase I needed the water they were in. (from the 40)
I knew I needed to get the pumps,heaters and skimmer running, but still didn't have enough water to fire the system.
I had only made about 15g of new water (biggest mistake).
I added corals back from the 75, which BTW had a failed heater and was now about 72 degrees, and pumped back some of that water. I was able to make another 20g of new water and add that also.
When I finally got the system running, I couldn't see 2 inches into the tank. I had placed the larger corals back in by feeling for bare spots. This left about 6 inches of water in the 75 with all the smaller colonies.
By 1am Sunday morning(I started 8pm Friday) I had all the corals back in heated running water. Some were in the sump, but they were back in the system.
Next morning I noticed a lot of tissue loss on some of the pieces, mostly the milliporas. I had lost all but a 3/4" frag from a nice blue stag, my green table was 50% gone, a yellow stag is mostly gone, I lost 2 shrimp and my anthias.
It looks like things have stabalized now.
The lesson here is to plan on every conceivable problem and be prepared for it. Oh, and make a lot of spare water. If you don't use it, you can save it for your next water change.

kris
10-29-2003, 05:56 PM
i would not worry about the fish. if you know where the 6 line is then try to acomadate that so the fish can swim out later on. I usally take corals and place in to a holding tank i have set aside for such a thing. also for insperation i look at pics on the web, minly pictures of real reefs.

Cheers!

props
10-29-2003, 11:07 PM
thanks guys
really appreciate it
=o)

reefburnaby
10-30-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi,

I am taking down my DSB as we speak, but I am taking a long term approach. When I do a water change, I just siphon as much sand as I can.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.