PDA

View Full Version : How to Get Rid of a Nuisance Coral?

Eb0la11
05-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Hey guys,

so I've got this fast spreading coral in my tank that I want to get rid of. What's the safest way? It's a soft coral almost like xenia. I have it in two spots and I want to get rid of it completely.

My thought was to pull the rock out of the tank and cut the individual pieces of with scissors first and then after that spray it with lemon juice and let it soak in it for a good 20 minutes.

Do you think this will work? And is it safe? What method should I use?

globaldesigns
05-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Hey guys,

so I've got this fast spreading coral in my tank that I want to get rid of. What's the safest way? It's a soft coral almost like xenia. I have it in two spots and I want to get rid of it completely.

My thought was to pull the rock out of the tank and cut the individual pieces of with scissors first and then after that spray it with lemon juice and let it soak in it for a good 20 minutes.

Do you think this will work? And is it safe? What method should I use?

If you can't cleanly take it off the rock and give it away, then used Kalk paste in a syringe. I have used this process for mushrooms that I could not get it, and it got rid of them in one dose.

Eb0la11
05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I dont have a syringe, would cutting them to reveal the inner tissue and then just soaking them in calcium overloaded water work?

All I have is dry calcium from sea chem or baking soda.

Would that work?

bvlester
05-04-2010, 08:08 PM
It's probably athenia or what ever it's called in most cases it can be pulled off in one piece that is if you can get the edge of the mat to start to lift. I have some that I trim pretty much regularly pull rock out. I then use the edge of my finger nail and kind of flip the edge up and then it pulls off in fairly large pieces. you may want to applie a bit of boiling water to the spot useing a turky baster and have the spot you are basting pointing down ward so the water runs off and only afects that area this will kill the remaining athenia. The stuff you pull of you can then sell or give away.

Bill

Eb0la11
05-04-2010, 09:56 PM
People want to buy athenia? haha. Well, I got a 2nd patch I have to deal with after I see how my efforts worked on this one, so if I do decide to sell some or something then I'll salvage some of that patch.

doch
05-04-2010, 11:01 PM
LOL... I took a lighter to the GSP that got where I didn't want it... worked like a charm!!

Eb0la11
05-05-2010, 07:30 AM
LOL... I took a lighter to the GSP that got where I didn't want it... worked like a charm!!

I thought about this... If my other methods dont work I might try it, we'll see.

BlueAbyss
05-05-2010, 07:45 AM
I believe the stuff you're talking about is Anthelia. :mrgreen: Definitely try to sell it if possible, or even give it away.