PDA

View Full Version : Pink Skunk Clownfish Chirping Like A Bird!

AJ_77
10-29-2003, 04:01 AM
Heard a distinct chirping sound coming from the tank tonight - thought it must have been the Lemonpeel. (Maybe dwarf angels can grunt like the big angels?) :eek:

As I watched closely, the larger of my A. perideraion pair was confronting a reflection at the front glass. It would dive, then lift its face and vibrate it quickly from side to side, and make a descending chirping sound. Sounded like a bird, almost like a pigeon, something like a br-r-r-r sound you make with your tongue. (Like my scientific description?) :smile:

Anybody else's clowns make a chirping sound? Rich??
These Skunks are at home in a large LTA, and have been a little "closer" lately, and showing more colour. Also more territorial (the fighting with reflections is new), maybe bonding or pre-spawning behaviour?

I have no books yet, so experiences/opinions are valued.

Delphinus
10-29-2003, 05:01 AM
Neat-oh.. Don't think I've heard of a clown doing it (that doesn't mean much though). Can you take a 30-second video of it???

Jack
10-29-2003, 08:25 AM
He's just clowning around. bwahahaha

Doug
10-29-2003, 01:27 PM
My large pair of cinnamon clowns are always doing that. Sometimes pretty loud.

sumpfinfishe
10-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Hey Alan,

So you have a birdcage now, that's great! :biggrin:
Congrats Al, this usually is a great sign that your fish have either made a serious bond, or they are performing prespawning rituals as you mentioned.

I contacted J. Wilkerson(the author of "Clownfishes") a few years back as I was getting the same response from my two skunks.

Joyce advised me that this action is brought on usually after the pair has finished dating, and are either bonding or it's a behavior brought on from prespawning.

My two skunks that I have had for the last year and a half have seemed to have gone through most stages of the spawning cycle. When I first introduced them, they were always bickering and the larger female was always chasing off the smaller male.

The next stage was that they stayed close together during the day, but then at night they chose two separate sleeping quarters. Chirping was present at this time, along with other actions like shaking or twitching.

A few months back the female started barking or chirping at the male again, and now the pair are inseperable as they will always follow each other everywhere without any bickering or territorial squables. They both now sleep together, the female in her feather duster and the male right below her.

Another stage that I have been noticing over the last few weeks is prespawing for sure. Both skunks have been tending to a nearby cave in the rockwork. The pair have been cleaning a small area of rock which I'm almost 100% is there chosen spot for there clutch of eggs. The funny thing is, I have noticed that the male is not always up to doing this chore. When he slacks off, and starts to venture away the female is quick to help guide him back to his duties :mrgreen:

I had a previous pair of 4 year old skunks do all the the same, yet I never noticed any eggs or they were simply eaten by the time the lights came back on.

Alan,
The "clownfishes" book is a great read, a must have for anyone who plans on keeping clownfish IMO. Keep me updated! :exclaim:

AJ_77
10-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks Rich (and Doug) - they're both chirping at me today, and they've been vigourously cleaning a vertical rock surface right beside their LTA for about a week. Nice body colour on them too, a deeper salmon hue. Wish I had a couple hours to sit there with the camera... not today though. :confused:

:biggrin:

Delphinus
10-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Alan: I have forgotten, which species of clown do you have (I know they're skunks, but it seems to me there are 4 in the skunk alliance?)? A. perideraion?

AJ_77
10-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Tony: Yup.
As I watched closely, the larger of my A. perideraion pair was confronting a reflection at the front glass.
You don't get over here much...

:frown:

:wink:

Quinn
10-29-2003, 07:30 PM
I understand that is it rather uncommon for skunk clowns to breed in captivity. :cool:

Delphinus
10-29-2003, 07:30 PM
Ohhhhh my. :redface: Now THERE's some short-term memory....