PDA

View Full Version : Dead Live Rock Mixed with Live Rock

SeaSerpant
05-04-2010, 01:56 PM
A friend at aquarium illusions told me it would be cheaper to go to big als and buy the majority of my rock there (dead rock) and just mix it with a few pounds live rock! Would this work? Does big als actually have dead fiji live rock?

Thanks!
SeaSerpant

pelle31
05-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Yea that would work......although it would take time for the dead rock to become live.

gobytron
05-04-2010, 03:19 PM
That's a good way to go.
Your initial cycle might take a little longer than it would if you used all new live rock but you have a larger measure of control if you use dry/dead stff since you have a better undertsanding of where it's been.

There are also no guarantees that just because you buy wet rock from a lfs that is is aywhere near fully cured or fully cycled.

fishoholic
05-04-2010, 05:51 PM
FYI dead rock at LFS can still be more expensive then what most people sell live rock for here in the buy/sell section. Since it would take at least 3-4 months for the dead rock to start to get life on it (from using a few pieces of live rock with it to cure it) I'd wait until some live rock came up for sale in Edmonton from someone's tank.

gobytron
05-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Thats a couple of good pointe right there.

For the best combination of cost and time to cycle, buying your LR from a reefer with a healthy and established system is the way to go.

I sell LR for 3-4$ lb, I'm sure you can find an Albertan who's prices are comparable.

kevNnic
05-04-2010, 07:25 PM
i have 30lbs of dry rock which i got raped buying from aquarium illusions. at 4.99lb and i have 10lbs of live rock in my tank right now that i purchased for 7.50lb no tax from a fellow in edmonton who has alot.

Next time i will go all live rock forsure!

whiteangelbw
05-08-2010, 09:15 PM
some people like dry rock because then you know you are starting out "pest free". this is definately the way I am going next time I set up a system. I lost 3 sandsifting gobies and 2 fish to nasty crabs I couldn't find. $4.99/lb is a deal, especially when all is said and done the dry rock will be close to twice the weight when its cured, so when you buy 30lbs dry its probably close to 60lbs cured live rock. I did this last year with stuff from BRS and couldn't believe the weight of it now that it is cured.

SeaSerpant
05-08-2010, 09:23 PM
FYI dead rock at LFS can still be more expensive then what most people sell live rock for here in the buy/sell section. Since it would take at least 3-4 months for the dead rock to start to get life on it (from using a few pieces of live rock with it to cure it) I'd wait until some live rock came up for sale in Edmonton from someone's tank.

I'm going to go with your suggestion! It makes more sense to get cheap live rock from canreef and wait a month for the tank to cycle than new dead rock and wait 4 months for the tank to cycle! If you think about it your going to spend a lot of money on it anyway, why not buy the best you can!

Thanks
SeaSerpant

ElGuappo
05-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Just noticed it looks like someone in edmonton is trying to unload 80 lbs of live rock

intarsiabox
05-09-2010, 02:47 AM
Live rock is the way to go IMO. I've bought rock from fellow canreefers as well as a few fresh uncured pieces from stores just to get the biodiversity that you don't get with a chunck of dead rock. I think seeing all the new organisms growing and getting new suprises every day is worth the risk of getting a pest and its what a reef is all about.:biggrin:

gsar
05-14-2010, 06:40 PM
If you have the time and patience making your own can be fun and cheap with good results. I tried the familiar internet recipes for diy rock. It took about four months for the ph to stabilize (i was pretty lazy about changing the water when curing) but once it did and i put it in my tank it only took a few weeks before little patches of pink and purple started to show up.

It only took days before bristleworms and little bristlestars found their new homes. I'm pretty sure that in few months you won't be able tell which rock came from the ocean and which came from the garage.

You can also make some cool pieces (like arches) which are rare in the LFS's. Just make sure you let it cure long enough so it doesn't make your ph spike.

Aquagiant
06-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Aquagiant dead rock only $2.99 / lb. Live rock $6.49/lb corals 3 for $100.

smallfry13
06-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Hello,
I know its kinda just out of nowhere but if anyone is selling any live rock in or around Calgary, I am defiantly interested.

PS. I am willing to drive to edmonton if there is some up there.

thanks a lot for your guys time.

PSS. I am new at Salt Water so if anyone has any tips on the what chemicals I will need for a FOWLR tank, they would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

Funky_Fish14
06-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Smallfry - Shouldn't need any 'chemicals' for a FOWLR tank except dechlorinator and salt!

Its probably cheaper to buy live rock even from a store in calgary than to drive to edmonton for it!

Just hold-off and look through the classifieds! Anyone selling rock for less than $6/lb is a good deal usually! I and others have sold rock for as little as $3.50/lb before or less! And that was good live rock!

bvlester
06-16-2010, 05:28 PM
what i have done with dead dry rock was used it to mount large monties on and it took about 1- 1.5 months for the rest of the rock to become live critters and stuff move in prity quick as they are use to the reefs in the wild and there is no new teritory on them inless some thing is sunk or droped thete and then it is taken over by the wild life in a matter of no time at all. but yes to is a good way to go and yes you can have mor controle.

Bill

Aquagiant
06-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Hi Bill

Now our live is on sale, $6.49/lb, if buy more than 100 lbs, $5.99/lbs.

We also sell dead live rock, $2.49/lbs

Our corals are sale too, 3 for $100.

David

SeaSerpant
06-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Hey aquagiant
What kind of dead rock is it? fiji?

Thanks
SeaSerpant