PDA

View Full Version : Kent marine buffer PH and Alk issues

robbyville
10-29-2003, 12:43 AM
Hi all,

It seems like my Alk is a little high at around 12.6dkh but my PH is low at 7.7 or so. I have some buffer but was concerned that this would raise my alk even higher while bringing my PH in line. Is this the case?

If so, is there a way to increase PH without adversely affecting Alk?

Thanks as always!

Rob

Michel
10-29-2003, 05:25 PM
IMO yours is not high mine is always around 13.5dkh and my ph always around 8.2-3 and all are doing fine !

Jack
10-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Low pH can be attributed to insufficient gas exchange. I can't remember if you have a sump or not but maybe point a powerhead to agitate the surface.

That alk is not high at all, nothing to be concerned about. Although it's higher than natural sea water this is what most reef tanks view as "optimium" (12dkh)

What are you using for testing pH, that could also be way off. With a pH of 7.7 I would think your critters would show signs of stress..?

robbyville
10-31-2003, 01:06 AM
Well no signs of stress with the critters. PH is tested with a Salifert kit and I confirmed using an old master kit.

I have a built in sump that agitates the water a fair bit. Randy at RC mentioned that it might also be due to high C02 in the room. Especially since we do not open many windows with the cold. I might try and run an air line from outside to the air intake of my skimmer, might not do anything but seems like a fun project!

I understand that my Alk is not much to be concerned about, but I'm more worried that if I use the buffer I purchased that the Alk will go even higher by me trying to remedy the PH problem.

Other thoughts would always be appreciated, otherwise I'll let people know how the airline thing works out!

Best,

Rob

reefburnaby
10-31-2003, 02:41 AM
Hi,

You can test the high CO2 content theory by taking a sample of water and placing it in a well ventilated area. Wait 8 to 24 hours and remeasure pH. Most of the CO2 should have dissappated in to the air by 24 hours (just like stale pop).

Oh...I would check if the pH test is wonky by measuring the pH of a freshly mixed saltwater.

When was the pH measured? (right after the lights turned on, when the lights are off, and etc).

Hope that helps and good luck.

- Victor.

robbyville
10-31-2003, 04:52 AM
That's a great idea...thanks!

I measured the PH throughout the day's at different times to ensure accuracy. My understanding is that PH should be higher prior to lights out than when the lights come on. Although I might have that backwards!

I'll let you know on Sunday how it turns out!

Rob

Jack
10-31-2003, 09:48 AM
My understanding is that PH should be higher prior to lights out than when the lights come on. Although I might have that backwards!

Nope, you got it right! Coral/algae's absorb co2 during the day raising pH, they release it after the lights go out, in turn lowering the pH.

Never thought but do you have a fireplace or anything? It's possible now that I think about it that the room has a bit of Co2 built up from being sealed from the cold. Intersting...

robbyville
10-31-2003, 03:17 PM
No fireplace going yet! But I read a study that mentioned that C02 was somewhere near 300 (not sure of measurement) outside and that the average house was over 1100! Apparently this is also intensified with newer houses that are better insulated and have better windows.

While I generally have difficulties reading many of the more scientific reef keeping articles, this one was really quite interesting.

I'm going to try experimenting tonight, and hopefully have some closure on this one by Sunday. I'll let everyone know how I fare!

Rob