PDA

View Full Version : Clam and Clown Goby? Bad Combo?

Eb0la11
04-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Hey guys,

so I got a clam recently and have noticed my green clown goby hanging around it lately. I may have even witnessed him go inside the clam, but Im not sure.... I read on one site that clown goby's can irritate clams. Does anyone have a source for certain proof of this? Should I get rid of the clown gobies? Thoughts? I also have a yellow one, but he hasn't shown any interest in the clam yet.

Eb0la11
05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Anyone? I saw the little bugger swim in its mouth the other day only to get spat out and today my clam isn't open fully :/ Thoughts?

naesco
05-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Anyone? I saw the little bugger swim in its mouth the other day only to get spat out and today my clam isn't open fully :/ Thoughts?

Return the fish to the LFS. It is after the mucous on the clam and might damage it.

Eb0la11
05-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Ya I already plan to get rid of the guy. He often swims into my overflow and can't get out. Im waiting for him to do it again. He usually doen't last more then 3-4 days in the DT without going into the overflow.

ponokareefer
05-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Ask Greg from Coral Master if he has had any issues with his clown goby and clams. I did some research prior to getting my clown goby's, as I have clams, and it is extremely rare that they will bother clams. They will sometimes perch on them, and unless they are keeping them closed a lot, they should be okay. There is even cases where they will go inside clams and out. There is actually a post on reefcentral of clown fish living in a clam.

the marine apprentice
05-04-2010, 03:26 AM
i have a green clown goby as well as a yellow clown goby and the yellow guy perch's on everything but my green guy i dont know about all that much. he likes to hang out by all my zoas and i have seen him nip at the skirts a few times and he even took a chunk out of my kenya tree. im pretty sure he will be relocating to my 10g tank with out any coral.

but if anyone has any more info on the green guys that would be cool.

Eb0la11
05-04-2010, 06:24 AM
My green clown goby seems to be the problem. My yellow one hasn't done anything yet to my clam. Hasnt touched it. Meanwhle my green clown goby has gone right in its mouth and been spat out and perches on it all day. Not it's closed up today. Im planning to remove the little guy at least for a period of time to see if thats the culprit.

He did close up after a dosing of Baking Soda so I am not positive yet on the reason for him being closed.