PDA

View Full Version : I am moving within 2 months, any advise ??

newreefer_59
04-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Any advise other than "not moving" will be appreciated.:biggrin:

Have a 1 1/2 year old reef tank with about 11 SPS/LPS corals, lots of live rock and 8 species of fish. Is it advisable to move the fish for 3 or 4 days to a temporary aquarium somewhere during the move? I know the live rock can be out of water for the move (about an hour drive away) but how about the coral? Can it just be carried in a bucket for the move? Some of the coral has already attached itself to live rock, etc............I know this is upsetting to my fish and all so planning ahead to do this right:)

Myka
04-30-2010, 05:50 PM
I would suggest you keep the live rock submerged for the trip in a Rubbermaid tub or something or you will cause a cycle from it being out of the water for an hour. I would also individually bag each coral and fish, and pick into styrofoam boxes just like if they were being shipped across the country. If it's too big, you can put it into a Rubbermaid with water. You never know what will pop up to delay you, best to be prepared. It is a lot of work to move a tank. I would try to do this all in one day in as short a time span as possible. If it is possible try to take as much old water with you as you can. You will also want to have enough fresh saltwater mixed up for at least 24 hours to put into the tank in its new location. I would also suggest you toss out the old sandbed, and buy new sand since disturbing the old sandbed will cause a lot of death, and will pollute the new tank...possibly to the point of crash.

I moved my tank 1500 kms a year ago, and didn't lose anything. I had the luxury of just having to move the corals, fish, and inverts though since the new tank was setup with cooked live rock and everything for several weeks beforehand. Much easier to move that way.

newreefer_59
04-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Any tricks to catching elusive fish? I guess removing the LR and such is a good start:)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-30-2010, 06:23 PM
I would save half your water & make up 50% new water ready at the new place. That way, when you get your tank there, you basicially do a 50% water change & lessen the stress on the fish & corals.

Psst, this would be a good time to upgrade to a bigger tank:wink:

Leah
04-30-2010, 06:32 PM
:biggrin: Good-luck with the move Len. :wink:

cordeiro
04-30-2010, 07:23 PM
i was told not to replace my sandbed durin our move as u dont want to cycle ur tank?? why is that?? we wanted new sand figured this would be easier but were told not to :neutral:

I would suggest you keep the live rock submerged for the trip in a Rubbermaid tub or something or you will cause a cycle from it being out of the water for an hour. I would also individually bag each coral and fish, and pick into styrofoam boxes just like if they were being shipped across the country. If it's too big, you can put it into a Rubbermaid with water. You never know what will pop up to delay you, best to be prepared. It is a lot of work to move a tank. I would try to do this all in one day in as short a time span as possible. If it is possible try to take as much old water with you as you can. You will also want to have enough fresh saltwater mixed up for at least 24 hours to put into the tank in its new location. I would also suggest you toss out the old sandbed, and buy new sand since disturbing the old sandbed will cause a lot of death, and will pollute the new tank...possibly to the point of crash.

I moved my tank 1500 kms a year ago, and didn't lose anything. I had the luxury of just having to move the corals, fish, and inverts though since the new tank was setup with cooked live rock and everything for several weeks beforehand. Much easier to move that way.

naesco
04-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Any tricks to catching elusive fish? I guess removing the LR and such is a good start:)

Carefully remove the rock ensuring 100% that there is no fish hidden in it.
Drain the tank so that the level is an inch or so above the largest fish.

Close the lights and let them be.

Come back with a large glass container and carefully scoop up each fish.

lorenz0
05-01-2010, 03:04 AM
I just finished moving my tank to my parents place. Keep everything in water. Also remember that some stuff doesn't make it. I lost 2 sps colonies during the move but besides that all the fish did well. Take as much water with you and than have a couple of fresh batches ready for the top up after.

And yes with keeping the rocks submerged it is due to the fish. This is how my watchmans and royal gramma decided to travel.

Good luck, its stressful and i hope the best for you

Leah
05-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Get lots of rubbermaid containers. I had my old tank set up and needed to empty it first as I was putting the new tank in the same spot. I set up the rubbermaids with heaters and powerheads. And I transferred as much water out as I could first, then I took out the rock and put it in another container. I saved almost all of my water as I went from a 72 gal to a 120 gal. So I needed to keep most of it. A little different in your case. Put your corals in one container, fish in another and rock in another. I would not use the water from the coral one however.

It takes longer than you think. I would take the water out the night before...if possible. As Naesco said and let the fish calm down overnight.
But I would say you should keep the rock in water while it is being moved and get someone to help.

Hope this helps if you have any questions either Email or PM me. :biggrin:

Leah

cordeiro
05-01-2010, 05:10 PM
moving sux,i have a 180g with 33 dif corals, and im moving to a new house at the end off the month, (if anyone wants to help move some stuff, theres a lot lol.. jk) im going to bag up everthing, and take all the water with me. o god its going to sux