PDA

View Full Version : diatom problem

marvinsae
04-30-2010, 07:18 AM
i'm staring to notice some "brown algae" or diatom. everyday it seems to spread but i've read up on it and it says its normal after cycling and it should disappear as fast as it shows up. i guess my tank isn't well established yet. should i wait it out or go purchase more snails. i've been doing regular water changes. i'm a bit confused though, some say increase the light, others say do a black out. im just worried how it would effect my maxima clam. other then that i have no corals YET.

Madreefer
04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Not trying to be a dick. Did'nt you just set this tank up 4 weeks ago? Could still be going through a cycle. I would take the clam back. It's really hard to be slow and patient and it will save alot of fiddleing around and money if you are.:smile:

marvinsae
04-30-2010, 03:32 PM
it was about a month ago that i started my tank however i used cured LR and it never went through a cycle. i've never gotten an ammonia spike even after adding fish

fishytime
04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
diatoms are usually caused by one off three things......old bulbs can sometimes be the cause.......excess nutrients, either from a cycle or from overfeeding can be a cause...... and finally, poor flow, all of which are easy fixes.....

I would have to agree with madreefer about the clam......I put two squamosas in my reef about six months after it being re-setup after a move....both died within a couple months.....this scared me away from clams for a while then I tried again after the tank was a year old and every clam I've added has done well(save one.....not sure what happened to it?)..... it doesnt matter if the rock was cycled or not, if the rock hit the air then its basically a brand new tank..... one month is to soon for a clam IMO:wink:

Myka
04-30-2010, 04:39 PM
diatoms are usually caused by one off three things......old bulbs can sometimes be the cause.......excess nutrients, either from a cycle or from overfeeding can be a cause...... and finally, poor flow, all of which are easy fixes.....

I would have to agree with madreefer about the clam......... it doesnt matter if the rock was cycled or not, if the rock hit the air then its basically a brand new tank..... one month is to soon for a clam IMO:wink:

Agreed. :)

No black out required. Since the tank is new the diatoms are part of the cycle. They should cycle out on their own provided you keep up water quality. What do you have for a clean up crew now?

marvinsae
04-30-2010, 05:39 PM
right now i have 7 astrea snails, a brittle star, and a diamond watchman goby. im going to get more snails soon and a pair of cleaner shrimp. im guessing that its caused from my tank cycling? but i didnt go through a cycle...i've got a 250w mh pendant and a few power heads so im pretty sure the light quality is good along with the flow. i guess ill just have to wait it out?

marvinsae
04-30-2010, 05:40 PM
damn now im really worried about my clam. it seems to be doing fine so far...it moved to the sand bed and within minutes he opened up when i acclimated him

Myka
04-30-2010, 05:56 PM
How big is your tank? I would suggest you wait on the cleaner shrimp until your tank is 3-4 months old so they have enough to scavenge. A new tank, even with cured rock is still a "harsh" environment for critters until it has had a few months to age. I would suggest you move very slowly on adding critters for the first few months to avoid losing them. Even if your tank didn't show any signs of cycling, you could have inaccurate test kits, or you can call he diatoms new tank syndrome instead. :)

marvinsae
04-30-2010, 08:41 PM
my tank is 65 gallons with a 40 gallon sump. alright well i will take it easy for now and wait a few months before adding anymore. i've been spending a lot of money on my tank so far so it'd be better for the tank, and wallet. as for the test kits i dont think they are inaccurate. what are the odds my ammonia and nitrate test kit being off?

Madreefer
04-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Probably sick of hearing the negative stuff. But your goby just may starve to death as well. They eat organisms in your sand bed. With a tank that new there will not be enough in there and what is there, he has most likely already ate.

naesco
04-30-2010, 11:50 PM
damn now im really worried about my clam. it seems to be doing fine so far...it moved to the sand bed and within minutes he opened up when i acclimated him

Please also excuse my criticism.
Return the clam as it likely will not survive. Some fish, coral and inverts require well established tanks and that is why they are not labeled 'easy to care for"
Clams are not easy and are not for beginners. It is a good idea to ask here before you buy.
If your LFS did not tell you that change LFS.

intarsiabox
05-01-2010, 03:12 AM
I think your goby should be fine provided that it eats prepared foods. My first fish was a yellow watchman goby and he survived all my mistakes and has moved from new tank to new tank without any problems. He won't even touch anything in the tank except the food that I feed him. He's actually kind of creepy because he knows that I'm the only one in the family that feeds him so he just sits there and stares at me for hours.