PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton summers

dylanserbin
04-30-2010, 04:56 AM
Hey, summer is creeping up faster than i thought and i am curious to know how many of you guys are running chillers on your tanks.

I have a 34g tank with an DIY LED fixture, and my tank is upstairs in my room. I have only had my tank up for about 7 months so i haven't experienced the summer heat with my reef yet. Should i be taking precautions? and if so what? I dont really want to buy a chiller for a 34g reef tank for 2 months of the year..

Thanks,

Dylan.

globaldesigns
04-30-2010, 05:09 AM
I don't, but I do have a 4tonne air conditioning system on the home. This way my fish and my family are comfy.

dylanserbin
04-30-2010, 05:19 AM
ok.. for the less fortunate then.

mark
04-30-2010, 07:33 PM
before then central air, couple of muffin fans (evap cooling) over the sump on a thermostat kept everything okay. Still have the fan just hardly come on now.

Is surprising how much you can evaporate daily so a ATO is handy.

intarsiabox
04-30-2010, 11:15 PM
I had a 150W MH over a 20g tank on the main floor and it never got above 82 degrees without A/C. I have since switched to T5's so I think it'll be even less of a problem. I used an open top with MH's also so that really helps. I wouldn't rush out to buy a chiller without trying a fan and open top first, or maybe your tank will be just fine as is.