PDA

View Full Version : Need hair algae

Mr31415
04-29-2010, 05:12 AM
Hi,

I am looking for a piece or two of live rock with a good growth of hair algae (not Bryopsis though!). I need this for my sea hare (Dolabella). Anyone who can help me?

globaldesigns
04-29-2010, 05:21 AM
Hi,

I am looking for a piece or two of live rock with a good growth of hair algae (not Bryopsis though!). I need this for my sea hare (Dolabella). Anyone who can help me?

A piece or 2 of rock with algae won't be enought. Sea hares are lawnmowers and will have that done in one day. He will starve, so I would recomment lending him or selling him to someone else that needs its services.

Mr31415
04-29-2010, 05:40 AM
I agree, but my idea was to seed my refugium and grow enough algae to support her. There are no herbivores in my refugium.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-29-2010, 07:14 AM
I can hold your seahare in my "seahorse" tank for a while until you can get enough algae growing. I have some hair algae in there but the clean up crew is slowly working away. Probably enough to keep it alive for a week or so.

Not sure how quickly hair algae will grow in your refugium to keep a hungry seahare fed.

Anthony

gobytron
04-29-2010, 02:05 PM
it grows fast enough in my display....lol

I can rent him from you if you like...for $$?

my HA is receding now but I would definitely benefit from a week or so of his services.

don.ald
04-29-2010, 02:32 PM
try setting up an algae scrubber in the fuge

hockey nut
04-29-2010, 04:38 PM
I used to hand feed mine nori when the hair algea crop was low. :biggrin:

Mr31415
04-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah I did try that and although she eats some cheato and some nori, it seems like the nori is too tough for her...

reeferious
04-29-2010, 07:56 PM
this is what i did to supply my tangs, cowries, nudibranch and other algae loving creatures with an endless algae supply. fill up one of your spare tanks with liverocks and make sure tank is super nutrient rich. in no time at all you'll find abundant algal growth on all the rocks. simply switch one or two rocks into your main tank and you'll have an endless algae supply.

Mr31415
04-29-2010, 08:57 PM
reeferious - you make a good suggestion. My problem is my tank is completely algae free (now - did not use to be). Which is good... except for the algae eating creatures. So the algae in my refugium will grow too slowly. I need a simple, small nutrient rich tank with no herbivores. Great idea!