PDA

View Full Version : Ever had one of those days

Haloreef
04-29-2010, 04:32 AM
Man somtime this hobby is so crule. My 300gal system turned ine year old on Easter. My old 90gal cracked in the middle of the night and I lost most of my SPS colonies. I managed to save frags off of most pieces and had grown most into nice sized colonies. Fast forward to three days ago I added a awsome blue Maxima clam about the size of both my fists while putting him into the tank he jetted water onto one of the 400w mogul bulbs. The bulb did not break much to my surprize. Today I come home from work and i notice mass bleaching. The outer glass sheild has broken away and the corals have been exposed to the direct light.
Looks like I will loose; Cali Tort, Oregon Tort, Purple cross, Lime in the sky, Ice blue Tenuis, Purple Loripes, Violet Subglabra, Robins Egg Stag... who knows what else. Hopefully I can save frags from each.
Man I just want to hit something!
Sorry for the rant.
I thought it might make me fell better.
Not so much!
Keith.

Marlin65
04-29-2010, 04:50 AM
Man that sucks hope you will save those frags.

no_bs
04-29-2010, 06:27 AM
That really does bite the bigh one. Hope all turns out ok.

seanoman
04-29-2010, 06:34 AM
You have got to be kidding me keith. That sucks so bad. Paul was just telling me about that clam that you were getting from him. Hopefully you can save most of those pieces. I wish I could help and offer you some frags of my own, but we both know that that's not happening. I know how you feel right now. It makes you just want to scream and hit something.

This hobby sure has it's ups and downs.

Keri
04-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Ughh! I'm sorry :(

Cameron
04-29-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm also in Abbotsford, if I can help at all let me know

Rus
04-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Sorry to hear Keith, that sucks. Hopefully all goes well and you are able to save a few pieces. Let me know if you need any help or somewhere to move things temporarily if needed.

Good luck

andestang
04-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Horrible ! Sorry for your bad luck. You've reached out to the right place though. I had a very bad experience last summer which made me want to fold. But the support and help I got from fellow Canreefers was the difference. If you where here I'd pay some forward. Good luck & chin up :)

Leah
04-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Hope things turn around for you..... I know exactly how you feel. Some awesome people on Canreef that are always willing to help out.

saltynuts
04-29-2010, 02:53 PM
man that sucks ,hope all is well

christyf5
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Aww man, that totally sucks. I hope you can rescue some of your corals. Don't be too hasty to remove them as sometimes there is still tissue on the underside that will recover.

Chowder
04-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Aw man that sucks . Really sorry to here about this. Those are some real nice pieces to lose.

Chris

4lti7ude
04-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Best of luck with those.

If it makes you feel better my tank cracked on sunday night.
Found water everywhere in the morning =[

Lance
04-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Sorry to hear this. :sad: That really sucks!

plutoniumJoe
04-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Hang in there.

Haloreef
04-30-2010, 02:53 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes people!
After I came home from work today I finally got up the nerve to take a good long look. I think the Purple Cross is a Wright-off but I can see tissue on the under sides of most off the other colonies. Keeping my fingers crossed! The corals further away from the broken light seem less affected, (colour loss).
On the brighter side all fish and clams seem ok!
I guess I should leave the light off for a day or two?
Any suggestions?
I need to buy a new bulb but I think it best that the affected corals only get reduced light from the lights to the left and right of the "kill zone".
I will replace the bulb Saturday and start with the light on for an hour a couple times a day.
this is new to me so if any one has a differrent idea please let me know.
I do not want to cause any more stress to the poor corals!
Once again, thanks every one!
If a carpet soaked in salt water couldn't make me quit. this sure won't
Keith.

brickwood
04-30-2010, 03:45 AM
Wow Keith. That really sucks. I really hate hearing bad news like that. Hopefully things bounce back. If there is anything you need just let me know.