PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Timers...what are you guys using?

Myka
04-29-2010, 02:50 AM
I'm tired of having 50 different timers laying around. There has to be a better answer. I have been looking all over for a multi-timer, but can't find one that will work for me. The only multi-timers that I have found will turn all outlets on/off at the same time. Do you guys and gals know of something that will work for me?

I need to operate these timers:

Lights - On for 12 hours, off for 12 hours.
Lights - On for 7 hours, off for 17 hours.
Reactor - On for 3 hours, off for 3 hours, repeat.
Dosers (2) - I need to operate these independently of each other, and they need to be programmable to the minute.

So that is 5 independently controlled grounded (3 prong) outlets that are digitally programmable to the minute. An extra outlet or two would be nice as well. It will be well under 1000 watts on the timers.

Any ideas?

kien
04-29-2010, 03:13 AM
It sounds like you need a controller :-) Pretty much any one of the many on the market.

Myka
04-29-2010, 03:16 AM
Ya, but I don't want to spend $700-1000 on a controller. :D

kien
04-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Nor do you have to :-)

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/np-31/Neptune+Systems+Apex+Lite+Controller+Package.html

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/da-rk3/Digital+Aquatics+Reefkeeper+Lite+Aquarium+Controll er+%28L3%29.html

mark
04-29-2010, 03:21 AM
Ya, but I don't want to spend $700-1000 on a controller. :D

Check the Buy and Sell, there's one there for $390 (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63412&highlight=controller)

fencer
04-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Check out apex controllers

banditpowdercoat
04-29-2010, 03:26 AM
If your adventourous, get a Siemens LOGO 230RC off ebay like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/SIEMENS-LOGO-230RC-6ED1-052-1FB00-0BA0-Free-Ship-/200401673345?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Control_Systems_PLCs&hash=item2ea8dedc81

I have found them for like $50 before though. I use them for my lights, and ATO. They are basically a programable relay. the one in the link has 4 relays usable on 110/230V Simple block logic programing by the LCD r via toyr home computer and a Logo PC cable.

Myka
04-29-2010, 05:27 AM
Well thanks for the controller ideas guys, but I just dropped $500 on a Tunze ATO and a couple Drew's Dosers. Not because I wanted to...but because I am working out of province again. I'm not into putting any more significant amount of money into the tank right now. If I was into buying a controller right now I wouldn't have bought the ATO and dosers.

Dan, that's pretty cool. That might be something similar to what my maintenance guy was talking about. He programs vending machines and the like, and was mentioning he could build me a timer thingy.

I was talking to AquaDigital about the Profilux controllers. Some pretty cool features on them, but it seems like if you're going to bother getting one, you may as well go for gold, and get the awesomest one. :D

mseepman
04-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Mindy,

I would look at getting a RKL ($99 directly from DA) and it will let you control 4 outlets just like you've mentioned (at least I think it will). If not that...look for a used RK2 which comes with a 8 port power bar rather than the 4 that the new RKL's have.

Seems like a no brainer and given your habits to have multiple tanks...I'm sure this piece of equipment would never be wasted. :)

Myka
04-29-2010, 05:41 AM
Mark, you must have me confused! I'm no MTS person. :lol: I have always just had one at a time for the most part. I am setting up a simple Zoa tank though.

The RKL may be an option...I wonder if I could attach another 4 outlets? I will look into that one. Thanks!

gobytron
04-29-2010, 02:12 PM
If you buy a USED controller, you should be able to save 60-75% on it...:wink:

You can find an acjr package with a dc8 for pretty cheap.
The old school kind (with the green instead of blue LCD) seems to pop up often for under 200$ including dc8,ph and temp probes.

You could probably find it even cheaper without a ph or temp probe if you already have reliable ph and temp measuring devices in place.

Deals like this
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63682&highlight=acjr
seem to come up fairly frequently.

Coleus
05-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Well, i had the acjr and then upgrade to apex. I really like my apex far far more than acjr.

The best thing is I am able to control almost everything with my iphone when i am away from my tank. I can turn on/off stuff for maintenance or testing with ease. I am no longer have to go into my tiny space to unplug or plugin stuff which I hate because of limited space under there. I also set up a camera so I can view my fish eating when I feed them as I was enjoying a hot spring pool in Fairmont . If something happens, i got an email notification and then you can view the status and shut things off.

You can control with acjr remotely too but you need a computer beside your tank to hook it up. For $500, i think it is a great investment if you travel a lots.

Save it up and get Apex, don't go for ACJR :-)

TJSlayer
05-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Mindy just get the RKL from J&L, love mine and works great, plus you can always upgrade if you need to down the road without loosing your investment.

TJSlayer
05-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I also have 8 outlets attached to mine, and will be getting a SL2 with PH and salinity probes plus the net module down the road.... May even upgrade to the elite if I want more :)