PDA

View Full Version : 2 months old giesemann vs new Maristar

Coleus
04-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Well,

I am in process of deciding to upgrade my light. I have two options:

A 2 month used 72 Inch Giesemann Moon Light Fixture 3x250W MH + 4x80W T5 with extra ballast for $2300

or new

72 Inch Sunlight Supply Maristar Lighting Fixture 3x250W MH + 4x39W T5 for $1700

I have seen both light in action and very impress with both. Is it worth $500 more to get Giesemann ?

Red Coral Aquariums
04-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Either way you are set. Both great fixtures. More bang with the Giesemann; but 80w T5 a touch harder to get.
Kevin

kien
04-29-2010, 01:36 AM
I have never used Giessman but built in moonlights are really nice, especially if you don't want to install them separately. Not sure if that's worth $500 though :-) Depends who you ask I guess. I would probably say "no" if you were asking me :-)

Aside from the moonlights both fixtures get great reviews. Also keep in mind that replacing four 80watt T5s is going to be more expensive than replacing four 39 watters.

lastlight
04-29-2010, 02:16 AM
Gman def nicer looking but 80w T5 are a royal pain to get and the reflectors in the maristar mh are much better.

Coleus
04-29-2010, 02:28 AM
So Kien, what do you do for your moon light?

globaldesigns
04-29-2010, 05:29 AM
You might want to consider the Hamilton Belize Sun Fixture. I have had mine for about 3 weeks or so and can say it is top quality, made in the U.S.A.

JL brought mine in for me, and it was very reasonably priced, for the quality of the unit. Mine is a 5 ft, but they make every size, mine has:
- 2X 250W with high end German style reflectors
- 2X 80W T5HO with high end Germon Style reflectors
- 3X 1W Blue LED
- 2X 250W electronic ballasts
- T5 ballasts built into unit
- comes with mounting legs and hanging kit
- if hanging you can add on side unit shields to direct light downwards, also included

You get to choose your wattage of ballasts, and all bulbs. Depending on ballasts, price will reflect what is chosen. Bulbs are all included in price.

You will be impressed with it, check out the link:

http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/?cat=81

EDIT: I should also note, that the light isn't on JL's website, give them a call and ask for Jeff. I think I have the first one in Canada, and they can special order it for you. I got mine in less than 10 days and paid under $1100 for everything (unit, shipping and taxes)

Coleus
04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
You might want to consider the Hamilton Belize Sun Fixture. I have had mine for about 3 weeks or so and can say it is top quality, made in the U.S.A.

JL brought mine in for me, and it was very reasonably priced, for the quality of the unit. Mine is a 5 ft, but they make every size, mine has:
- 2X 250W with high end German style reflectors
- 2X 80W T5HO with high end Germon Style reflectors
- 3X 1W Blue LED
- 2X 250W electronic ballasts
- T5 ballasts built into unit
- comes with mounting legs and hanging kit
- if hanging you can add on side unit shields to direct light downwards, also included

You get to choose your wattage of ballasts, and all bulbs. Depending on ballasts, price will reflect what is chosen. Bulbs are all included in price.

You will be impressed with it, check out the link:

http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/?cat=81

EDIT: I should also note, that the light isn't on JL's website, give them a call and ask for Jeff. I think I have the first one in Canada, and they can special order it for you. I got mine in less than 10 days and paid under $1100 for everything (unit, shipping and taxes)

Thanks Ron, the price seems very good. Will do more research about it and see. Do you find hard to find 80W T5 bulbs as well?