PDA

View Full Version : Foxface stuck to overflow

GongShow
04-28-2010, 04:53 PM
When i woke up this morning my foxface was stuck to my overflow leading to the sump i freed himand he would just float around and get stuck nto one of my pumps so i moved him to my quarantine tank where he isnt looking good at all. He is floating around near the top of the water breathing fairly heavily and he is going where ever the water flow takes him the weirdest part is during the whole time he has never moved his back fin once only his to side fins. Is there anything i can do or just wait and see

Eb0la11
04-28-2010, 05:12 PM
That sucks. He must be pretty small I guess?

If it were me I think wait and see is your best bet. I think he'll recover. Just give him a good spot to rest. The quarantine area, is it attached to the water column of the main tank? Or is this a separate system? I would want to keep him in the main system, somehow, without any threat of him getting stuck anymore or anything.

gobytron
04-28-2010, 05:35 PM
without a real diagnosis (and how would you get on anyways) your best bet is to wait and see.

Is the fish eating?

If so, some selcon might help...

Other than that, you probably cant do much outside of hope and keep stress to a minimum....

GongShow
04-28-2010, 05:49 PM
No the quarantine isn't attached to the main system which kinda suck. And he ate a very small piece of garlic algea when it floated past him but isn't making any effort to eat.

Eb0la11
04-28-2010, 06:07 PM
How big is he? Ive seen fish die from this, but if he's still alive when you caught him then there's hope.

And what's with foxfaces lol. Mine jumped out of the tank while I was fooling around in the sump the other day... Cant imagine the 6 foot fall felt very good but he's showing no signs of it effecting him so far.

GongShow
04-28-2010, 07:14 PM
He is about 4 inches long yeah I don't know either I've had him for like 6 months and no problem and this morning he was just stuck

Albertan22
04-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Is he breathing heavily? Sometimes if parasites are attacking the gills of a fish they'll seek out areas of high flow (like sticking themselves to powerheads or overflows) in an effort to get more oxygen. I had a yellow watchman do this the night before he died of velvet. Not trying to freak you out or anything, but take a good look for signs of ick, velvet, etc. Not knowing what the issue is, I'd say it was a good thing to remove from the main system.

DiverDude
04-28-2010, 11:38 PM
From what I've been through in the last few days, I think it was a good move to get him out of the tank. Given his condition, I'd consider some form of anti-microbial treatment (Prazipro, Copper) and see if that does anything.

Offer plenty of food and soak it in vitamins and garlic.

If he's gasping for air, you can try and help by oxygenating the water as much as possible by adding an airstone and/or pointing a power head upwards so it disturbs the surface.

It's difficult when you don't know for sure what you're trying to treat and from the sounds of it, he's in pretty rough shape so do what you can and hope for the best.

Good luck.