PDA

View Full Version : what hang on the back skimmer should I go with

Fishgirl
04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
I am just wondering can any of you tell me your thoughts on what is the best hang on the back skimmer? I am not looking to spend ALOT of money on it as at some point in the next year or so I am looking to drill my tank and put a sump under it. As for right now that is not possible so hang on is the way I have to go. So any help at well would be muchly appreciated. Oh yeah I live in calgary don't want to spend out my a$$ for shipping so would like to stay in calgary or at most canadian sites.

Thanks Everyone.
Jenn

Douglas
04-27-2010, 08:32 PM
I am just wondering can any of you tell me your thoughts on what is the best hang on the back skimmer? I am not looking to spend ALOT of money on it as at some point in the next year or so I am looking to drill my tank and put a sump under it. As for right now that is not possible so hang on is the way I have to go. So any help at well would be muchly appreciated. Oh yeah I live in calgary don't want to spend out my a$$ for shipping so would like to stay in calgary or at most canadian sites.

Thanks Everyone.
Jenn

How big is the tank?

bvlester
04-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks Everyone.
Jenn

The best advise I can offer is get the best you can afford to buy, don't skimp on the skimmer.

Trocar61
04-27-2010, 08:52 PM

Thanks Everyone.
Jenn

I use a remora pro I love it pulls some nasty sh;;;t:biggrin:

randy123
04-27-2010, 09:08 PM
I agree my aqua c remora pro gives high-range performance at a mid-range price. JL has the best price on a new unit I've seen, plus free shipping

fishoholic
04-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Pretty sure she has a 125g. Remora's are good hang on back skimmers. She would need an AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer which are rated from 40g to 120g.

Trocar61
04-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Ya thats what I meant...I use that one had bought it for my 90 Gallon from J&l still use it.

Myka
04-27-2010, 10:28 PM
If it were my tank, I wouldn't set it up until it was drilled with an internal overflow installed. You can always put plugs in the holes until you are ready to get the sump hooked up. It is risky to drill it when there is water in it, and difficult to impossible (depending on what type you want) to install an internal overflow. It really takes a lot of work to drill a tank after it has been set up. Those hang on siphon overflows are horrible, so I wouldn't even consider one of those.

If drilling it now isn't an option, I would go skimmerless until the tank gets drilled. I would also run it bare bottom and be sure to not overstock fish until the skimmer and sump are installed. Of course weekly 10-25% water changes will make a big difference too.

Imo, the Remoras aren't worth the cost for tossing them in the trash. I have owned a Remora and a Remora Pro and really think they are quite a waste of money. Imo, those people who think Remoras are good skimmers, have never had a better skimmer to compare to. Sure, they are a better skimmer than a BakPak or a SeaClone, but that doesn't take much! :lol: Imo, the only HOB skimmer worth spending money on is a Deltec.

bvlester
04-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Here is my other 2 cents The over the side over flows are fine as long as you drill them and have a siphon nipple put on attach to a power head or a aqua lifter to. This will always keep any air that may accumulate in there out. If power outage happens then when power comes back on the air is siphoned out never over flows and never fails.

I went straight to a Aqua Medic Multi T1000 works great and is rated up to 250g tanks I still use it on my 110g with 40g sump. Aqua romera's are mid range skimmers and work good for the price but if you have a bit more money then go with the skimmers that are the best. An redSea, Deltec and Aqua Medic, there is another that I can not remember right now. Anyways those are the ones I would recommend unless you can not afford the price of these units I would say go for a Romera Pro. I would also say on a large tank I would definitely have a skimmer as it's a pita to do the amount of water changes that would be needed and not worth it. There has been a couple of Aqua Medics multi's come in on here in and around Calgary over the last 6 or so months do a search and see if they are still for sale. Mine take thick black smelly skim out of my tank. I have a pic on photo bucket of the stuff. In the end it is your choice and up to you as to what you get and use.

here is a link for a Red Sea Berlin:
http://www.marineandreef.com/Berlin_X2_Turbo_Skimmer_with_Pump_Red_Sea_p/rrs50055.htm

These skimmers have been around for a long time and have been improved most skimmers these day are based on this form of skimming. Down draft skimmers are very good at what they do.
Bill

mseepman
04-28-2010, 12:03 AM
It's my understanding that Oceanic Corals (a Canreef vendor) will very soon be able to get the Super Reef Octo skimmers and they offer a nice XP1000 HOB skimmer (cone style even) for an okay price. I would talk to Ian....they may even have a shipping promo that would work for you.

Research them on the net...I think most people have good stuff to say about them.

Madreefer
04-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Imo, the Remoras aren't worth the cost for tossing them in the trash. I have owned a Remora and a Remora Pro and really think they are quite a waste of money. Imo, those people who think Remoras are good skimmers, have never had a better skimmer to compare to. Sure, they are a better skimmer than a BakPak or a SeaClone, but that doesn't take much! :lol: Imo, the only HOB skimmer worth spending money on is a Deltec.

Totally agree. Found mine to be finicky, noisy and really did'nt pull that much crap at all.

randy123
04-28-2010, 01:33 AM
Totally agree. Found mine to be finicky, noisy and really did'nt pull that much crap at all.

Really? I have to empty mine quite regularly... I wonder why the discrepency in performance? Anyways, they are good HOB skimmers IMO, especially for the price. Unless she is quite wealthy and doesn't mind dropping big money on a high-end skimmer (deltec, etc) she says she is only going to keep running for a few months.

Fishgirl, have you considered going sumped immediately with an overflow box? That way you can go and directly buy the sump skimmer you will be using permanently. You can easily modify the setup to drilled when you are ready for it? I am running an overflow box, and although it isn't as nice as having the tank drilled, i have found it to be reliable. As others have said, with an aqualifter to maintain suction, it has a perfect record at recovering from power outages without any overflows.

Anyways, when you do drill I would suggest taking the tank down and emptying it first. It isn't just a question of the tank being under more stress being full of water, the mechanics of drilling a filled tank are downright scary...and there would need to be room for a person holding a drill with a large bit on it to fit behind the tank. Anyone who would drill a hole in glass without being directly behind it is insane. Holes are best drilled with water to cool the glass to prevent heat stress...and this doesn't work so well on a vertical surface either. Drilling a tank always has risk at the best of times, but in this scenario the likelihood of disaster has been compounded very high!

Myka
04-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Really? I have to empty mine quite regularly... I wonder why the discrepency in performance? Anyways, they are good HOB skimmers IMO, especially for the price. Unless she is quite wealthy and doesn't mind dropping big money on a high-end skimmer (deltec, etc) she says she is only going to keep running for a few months.

My Remoras pulled crap out if I fiddled with them once a week (or more!). Finicky as all heck. I eventually figured they did a better job collecting dust in the closet than skimmate on the tank. :lol:

Since she will only be running the HOB for a year or so, that is why I suggested she just stock lightly, and go skimmerless until she is ready to buy a good in-sump skimmer (a good in-sump will cost the same as a shoddy Remora Pro anyway). It is a big tank to run skimmerless, but it really seems like a waste to spend the money on a Remora that will only be used for a year anyway...

bvlester
04-28-2010, 03:18 AM
I have seen the same Remoras moved from one tank that it was not pulling much stuff out of the water and in to another tank and it pulled a tun of stuff out. I don't know why or what the difference was but it was the same skimmer in both tanks I saw it being transfered from one to the other. The next day it was pulling some darkish green skim out and it would only pull a light tea skim out of the first tank. I do not know why it was working so differently in the two tanks. The two tanks had similar bio loads one had a bit more in the way of coral than the other and the other had a couple more fish.
So what is so different to make the same skimmer work so much better?

Bill

randy123
04-28-2010, 03:22 AM
for a year or so, that is why I suggested she just stock lightly, and go skimmerless until she is ready to buy a good in-sump skimmer

Stock lightly and do frequent water changes for a year? I don't know about you, but I don't have that much discipline:lol:

Fishgirl
04-28-2010, 04:57 AM
HOLY WOW thank you so much for all the great advise and input. I guess I left out a few important keys here, so I'll fill in the blanks. I am renting this house right now and my tank is on the main floor its going up in a safe area against the joist my landlord has looked and told me where to put it. It is 112gal I THOUGHT it was 125gal but i measured wrong Its 72''x20''x18''. I thought it was 72x 20x20. ANYWAY the reason I can't drill it right now is cause I don't feel comfortable putting another tank full of water on a main floor. SO once I find a place to buy and that is mine I will just do this for now. SO no the tank will be empty when I drill it. I haven't completely thought it over what I am going to do with all my stuff when I move that will be another thread another day;) lol. FOR now I just want a skimmer so I can add some coral and fish and have a nice looking tank, nothing over crowed or to heavy but something non the less very nice to look at. Someone told me to check out Saltwater connection they said there skimmers were as good as bubble king??? not sure any imput on this.

Myka
04-28-2010, 05:21 AM
I am 6 months away from a Red Seal Carpenter (journeyman). Your tank is spreading the (not particularly significant) weight along 6'. If your floor can't support that and a sump then the building should be condemned! Don't worry about that weight, it is not significant as long as you place it properly. A tanks' length should always be perpendicular to the direction the floor joists run so that the tank sits over as many joists as possible instead of just running the length of one. Know what I mean?

Really, save yourself the trouble and get the tank drilled now with a sump. You should find a 30 gallon sump to have enough room for a skimmer and return chamber. The sump will only be half full anyway, so you're only adding about 150 lbs to the total. That is only about 10% of the weight of the display tank. The weight of a small sump is not significant.

You can buy a good quality in-sump skimmer for less money than you can buy an ok quality HOB skimmer.

My 2 cents. :D

Stock lightly and do frequent water changes for a year? I don't know about you, but I don't have that much discipline:lol:

I moved my tank's contents from BC to SK (and got a bigger tank in the process of course). That was last May, and my tank is still lightly stocked (fish-wise anyway lol), and it gets weekly water changes like clockwork. I have a big @$$ skimmer on it too. Hehehe...I despise nutrients. :lol:

burgerchow
04-28-2010, 05:34 AM
don't get a Remora, biggest p.o.s. skimmer I've ever owned. I've got one on my fowlr 54 gal bowfront and it never really skims much.
Just drill the tank now and just put a temporary "small " sump such as a 25=30 gallon, then you will have the option of any multitude of in-sump skimmers. Vertex skimmers work really good and aren't too expensive.

Myka
04-28-2010, 05:40 AM
+1 on the Vertex for in-sump. :D

bvlester
04-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Vertex is good but there are a tun of skimmers for in sump action that are better unfortunately the best cost more than they weigh in gold. But you get what you pay for in this hobby. If you go cheep then you get cheep and the head-achs to go with it. I've been in fish my entire life, saltwater for 21 years and I don't know everything just what I use. As dose anyone else some have used alot of different skimmers and others only a few. If you put a sump I would just go to a conical cone skimmer I have hear nothing but good things about them there are a few companies that make them.
Here is a pic of my Aqua medic skim cup after 30 hrs:
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx134/bvlester/110%20gal%20tank/100_1937.jpg

The proof is always in the pic.
Now that is black smelly skim.
Bill

Madreefer
04-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Someone told me to check out Saltwater connection they said there skimmers were as good as bubble king??? not sure any imput on this.

For sure they are.:rofl: Like comparing a Kia to a Cadillac. But I can bet it will do a much better job than the Remora.

mws
04-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Gold's in Calgary has them for I belive for $200 or there about.
I just love mine. It did take a few weeks for it to start working.

gobytron
04-28-2010, 03:34 PM
If it were my tank, I wouldn't set it up until it was drilled with an internal overflow installed. You can always put plugs in the holes until you are ready to get the sump hooked up. It is risky to drill it when there is water in it, and difficult to impossible (depending on what type you want) to install an internal overflow. It really takes a lot of work to drill a tank after it has been set up. Those hang on siphon overflows are horrible, so I wouldn't even consider one of those.

If drilling it now isn't an option, I would go skimmerless until the tank gets drilled. I would also run it bare bottom and be sure to not overstock fish until the skimmer and sump are installed. Of course weekly 10-25% water changes will make a big difference too.

Holy smokes....lol
what a read.

I know you're new to reefing, don't let people like this put you off of it.
People go through a lot of trials and tribulations in reefing and you'll come across extremist views all over the place due to how hard reefers work to get to their ideal set up and also due to lessons learned through their own individual experiences.

Be careful when you are asking general questions like this on sites like this.
The best bet is to do the best that you can with the resources you have available.

My 1st tank was a sumpless 32 gallon bowfront, heavily stocked with a prizm HOB skimmer and no sump, just a rena xp1 packed with live rock.

My next real jump was to a 72 gallon, it was sumpless initially and I was still using that Prizm skimmer but I went out and bought one of those "horrible siphon overflows" and upgraded to a euroreef RS80 to put in my new 15 gallon sump. (as a side note, I have used 2 different siphon overflows, one of which I built myself and BOTH of them have never lost siphon and have never stopped working through power outages and countless maintenance pump shutdowns...plus they take up less realestate and are mch quiter than many internal overflows).

I upgraded from there to a multitude of tanks and finally broke everything down into my main display now, which is a 95 gallon with an external siphon overflow I built and a 60 gallon acrylic sump. I've spent a tonne of money on equipment now, like a wavebox, tunze powerheads, a calcium reactor pakage, a schuran skimmer and an aquacontroller and would I sit here and say that my current system is any better than that first 30 gallon?

NO.

I've learned a lot and paced myself according to the money and time I had to put in to this hobby.
sometimes that meant wasted resources or backtracking on some progress made in order to accomodate a new upgrade that I just couldn't afford or understand the necessity of prior to that but it worked for me and I have enjoyed my genesis through this hobby immensely.

So try and filter opinions from facts and make sure you don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't do...just get out there, get reefing and start learning....

Myka
04-28-2010, 03:58 PM
You think I'm an extremist? :lol: Thanks for the morning laugh.

Some equipment (like say a Prizm skimmer) are money best spent elsewhere. They aren't worth the money you spend on them. I've been in this hobby a lot longer than you gobytron. I remember when underground filters were all the rave, and no one knew what a powerhead was or why you would want one. J&L Aquatics didn't exist, and neither did The Conscientious Marine Aquarist (book). I have spent a lot of money and a lot of years getting the experiences I have now. Don't be so hasty to rub prejudice on my suggestions.

And I wonder why I didn't miss CanReef when I quit posting on here in January. Oh right...@$$holes like gobytron. Now I remember.

----------------------------------------------------

Basically fishgirl, my biggest suggestion for you as a novice reefer is to drill the tank before you ever set it up (whether you plug the holes or not) because you will probably regret it if you don't. Put up a poll, many people later regret not drilling their tank. My next main suggestion is if budget is a concern, don't spend money on equipment that you plan to replace in a year (like an HOB skimmer) since you will lose a lot of money on it when you go to sell it in a year. If you can find a used HOB skimmer that may be your best option then you won't lose so much money when you move on in a year.

gobytron
04-28-2010, 04:30 PM
How do you know how long I've been in this hobby for?...lol

And no one is denying your awesomeness Myka, so please continue to share your open mind and unbiased opinions.

If you'd like, I could send you pictures of the amount of skimmate my prizm (thats prizm, not prizm pro) pulled from tanks in the past.

I wouldn't deny it's no Deltec, I run a Deltec right now BUT...
I didn't always have 800 bucks to drop on a skimmer, there was a time when I only had 20$ and you know what?

At that time, there was no better skimmer out there than that trusty Red Sea Prizm skimmer.

You're welcome for the laugh Myka, I owe you for so many I have had in reading your many comments on thsi site over the years.:mrgreen:

Myka
04-28-2010, 04:43 PM
How are my opinions biased? Do you think I own shares in EuroReef or something? :rolleyes:

You can win this fight...you can have your soapbox back. Ciao.

gobytron
04-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Well....lol
I guess now you could say we are even...lol

You're biased based on your experiences Myka, not on ownership of a company...we all are.

It's just that some people tend to forget that an opinion is a biased thing and that it's not always applicable to those in different situations, with different expectations and different resources.
When this happens, people try and pass of personal opinons based on personal experiences as fact...which it is not.

Thank you for letting me borrow your soap box, I appreciate how warm you have kept it....:wink:

Maybe if you didn't regard a difference of opinions as a "fight" that someone must "win" you might find a little more ease in expressing yourself...
just a thought...
and a biased one at that...lol

Fishgirl
04-28-2010, 05:37 PM
OH MY I didn't mean to start anything on here, I appreciate ALL comments and suggestions it doesn't mean I'll do them all I am just trying to learn the best way to do something so if I go cheaper now based on some opinions and do the more expensive later on it still came from all you wonderful ppl in then end. SO here is my next question where can I get my tank drilled properly without it killing my pocket. Does anyone here know how to do it and has experience and is there away you could come here and do it so I don't have to hall this tank out of the house again??? thanks again for all your help and advice.

Jenn

Myka
04-28-2010, 07:31 PM
You didn't start anything Jenn, it happens around here often all by itself. It seems people get their panties in a twist if you don't say "In my opinion" or "In my experiences" at the beginning of every paragraph. :rolleyes:

Try talking to Kevin at Red Coral for drilling your tank. I'm not sure what he charges, but in my experiences (lol) $20-30 per hole is fairly typical. If you do decide to drill the tank, put some time into planning and deciding what type of drain you want even if you don't install it right now. Kevin should be able to help you with that too.

gobytron
04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
You didn't start anything Jenn, it happens around here often all by itself. It seems people get their panties in a twist if you don't say "In my opinion" or "In my experiences" at the beginning of every paragraph. :rolleyes:

Try talking to Kevin at Red Coral for drilling your tank. I'm not sure what he charges, but $20-30 per hole is fairly typical. You could always drill it yourself if you have a drill, a diamond hole saw, some patience, and a steady hand. ;)

Funny huh?
when adding 3 words can make such a big difference...
an as for bunched panties, these were on the soapbox when I got here:lol:

You might consider a siphon overflow until you move.
even the people who strongly advocate against them might agree that as a temporary solution until you move and can have your tank drilled while you are moving (or even buy a new system that is pre drilled and sell your old one).

Ask around and I think you will find that most people who hate on the siphon overflow haven't actually used one or didnt have it set up properly...

Here's a link to a very high quality one that you can look at if you want to consider an alternative to drilling right now, keeping in mind you can often pick these up for under 50$.
http://lifereef.com/frame.html

If not, you might want to post your question about where to get drilled in the Alberta forum so that you get the question to an audience who could best answer you from experience...

bvlester
04-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Hay Myka what you are saying make s sense but not everyone ca afford the expensive stuff. I would drill it now though if the tank is empty and if you feel like you don't want a sump you can cap the bulk heads for now until you find out how much movement there is in the floor. some times older houses will have twisted floor joist and will not hold as much weight.
I get Jenn's thought on the situation and don't blame her in some ways. I have a small bow front up stairs because the only places that I can put a tank right now is where the joists run parallel to the area, so no large tanks up stairs. besides in the basement I don't have to worry about the tank flooding as much there are drains in basements any ways but there would be almost no damage to the house.
I am bias toward Aqau Medic as their skimmers have treated me very good I have found allot of people that don't like them, you know that is them this is me. By the way I also like Deltec, ETSS and Red Sea Berlin skimmers because they are good skimmers ASM make another good skimmer that does not have to cost you your first born to get and does a good job, I can go on. I think the point is I think most people make good and valid points on here in most instances.
Myka I really like some of the reef keeping articles you have posted on here and have refereed some people to them, so your hard work and opinions do not fall on deaf ears but some time they can be heard of hearing.
I think in the long run we can all agree that any one in getting in to the hobby should buy the best equipment they can afford.

Bill

bvlester
04-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Funny huh?
when adding 3 words can make such a big difference...
an as for bunched panties, these were on the soapbox when I got here:lol:

You might consider a siphon overflow until you move.
even the people who strongly advocate against them might agree that as a temporary solution until you move and can have your tank drilled while you are moving (or even buy a new system that is pre drilled and sell your old one).

Ask around and I think you will find that most people who hate on the siphon overflow haven't actually used one or didnt have it set up properly...

Here's a link to a very high quality one that you can look at if you want to consider an alternative to drilling right now, keeping in mind you can often pick these up for under 50$.
http://lifereef.com/frame.html

If not, you might want to post your question about where to get drilled in the Alberta forum so that you get the question to an audience who could best answer you from experience...

Over the side overflow boxes work good they were the rage at one time because there were limited places to get a tank drilled and none came pre drilled. You could not get the bits readily to drill them so most people went with overflow boxes. you can get one the will automatically prime and keep the prime just in case some thing happens. The only time a overflow loses its prime is if there is a hole in the tube or acrylic or there are a tun of micro bubbles that get sucked into the overflow and get trapped to eventualy break the flow. IMO you would have to be pritty lazy to not notice this much bubbles in a tank or be on holidays. but then you should have some one watching the tank and you would get a call. I am not against over the top overflows I have used them and they work but only as good as the operator. I am partial to the CPR style you can install a airline fitting and attach to a venturi or aqua lifter to ensure the siphon dose not get broken and it will remove any air to prime the over flow.

Bill

gobytron
04-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Just a somewhat side note...
If you have your overflow and flow set up properly, you will NEVER see microbubbles in your tubing.
The only reason that this happens is not enough flow to create enough force to have the bubbles organically pulled out of the tube...

I think that this is th emost common error in setting these up and also the main reason for failure.

bvlester
04-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Just a somewhat side note...
If you have your overflow and flow set up properly, you will NEVER see microbubbles in your tubing.
The only reason that this happens is not enough flow to create enough force to have the bubbles organically pulled out of the tube...

I think that this is th emost common error in setting these up and also the main reason for failure.

yup your right. my tank is drilled got it that way It is an old school tank, stand pipe with overflow box mounted on top the stand tube tank up less real estate and you can put a top on the overflow box. I had to hunt for a bulk head to fit the hole because they use to just use pipe and fittings and a whack of silicone or or Orings on both sides of the glass to make sure the screw and connector fitting would seal around the hole. I did get a bulk head thanks had to look around and found one that was threaded. The old way would some times leak after a while if you did not re tighten the fittings after a couple of months but then you were good to go.

Bill

Myka
04-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Hay Myka what you are saying make s sense but not everyone ca afford the expensive stuff.

This is true. I am a cheap person. I buy 95% of my tanks' equipment used. The tank, stand (which I wrecked lol), lights, skimmer, powerheads...all used. I even bought the live rock "used". I did buy new sand, and I do buy new light bulbs. :D You save yourself a lot of money buying used equipment. I probably saved 60-75% on most items. You just need some patience to find what you are looking for.

not enough flow to create enough force to have the bubbles organically pulled out of the tube...

:neutral: Thanks for making me laugh again. It is appreciated - in my humble opinion anyway. ;)

kien
04-29-2010, 12:01 AM
:pop2:

Madreefer
04-29-2010, 12:21 AM
I see nothing wrong with what Myka is saying at all. She's actually speaking from experience. Fishgirl asked for opinions and she got it. No need to attack someone because you don't agree.

gobytron
04-29-2010, 02:02 PM
This is true. I am a cheap person. I buy 95% of my tanks' equipment used. The tank, stand (which I wrecked lol), lights, skimmer, powerheads...all used. I even bought the live rock "used". I did buy new sand, and I do buy new light bulbs. :D You save yourself a lot of money buying used equipment. I probably saved 60-75% on most items. You just need some patience to find what you are looking for.

:neutral: Thanks for making me laugh again. It is appreciated - in my humble opinion anyway. ;)

Hey, no problem...lol
If I were a lonely tradesman in saskatchewan I would be looking for laughs anywhere I could get them too...:mrgreen:

And FYI, even at 60-75% of a discount, which is rare as in my experience, unless the equipment you are buying is in really poor condition you can really onlyexpect a 30-40% reduction from retail price.
and even then, it's always a challenge to find exactly what you need when you need it.
But lets assume you do get that wonderful discount on used....lol
It`s still expensive to a lot of people...not everyone is a ticketed journyman without much more in life than their aquarium to spend money on...:wink:

Myka voiced one strong opinion and I voiced another...
I certainly didn't consider anything in this discussion a "fight" or an "attack" (like when someone picks apart your choice of words to describe something you consider helpful and pertinent to the thread when their only intent is to try and embarass you...lol) as it was already mentioned some here do.

Can there be only one voice on this forum...lol

I regret that I don`t have a thousand or more posts, but I still feel that I should be able to express myself, even if I don`t concurr with the opinion of someone who`s more....established than me.

I had thought that we were done here and that this thread could be given back to the original poster but then I find that the soapbox has once more been set up...lol

Myka
04-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey, no problem...lol
If I were a lonely tradesman in saskatchewan I would be looking for laughs anywhere I could get them too...:mrgreen:

...not everyone is a ticketed journyman without much more in life than their aquarium to spend money on...:wink:

Wow, you're really a piece of work. I'm not a ticketed journeyman. You must be referring to an earlier post in this thread where I said I am 6 months away from my Red Seal...? I am not in that line of work anymore. I'm not sure why you're so interested in my life or where I spend my money, but I am definitely not lonely. I do make good money, but most of my money is not spent on my aquarium. You have spent a lot more money on your aquarium than I have, so I'm not sure what leg you have to stand on there...? :neutral:

And FYI, even at 60-75% of a discount, which is rare as in my experience, unless the equipment you are buying is in really poor condition you can really onlyexpect a 30-40% reduction from retail price.
and even then, it's always a challenge to find exactly what you need when you need it.
But lets assume you do get that wonderful discount on used....lol
It`s still expensive to a lot of peopleWould you like a price list of what I have spent on equipment for my tank (I'm sure you're not interested)? It took 6 months to collect all the equipment, but I did spend 60-75% less than retail (even more if you consider the retail prices aroundSK), and all the equipment is less than a year old in very good condition. You just have to be ready to jump on a good deal.

I regret that I don`t have a thousand or more posts, but I still feel that I should be able to express myself, even if I don`t concurr with the opinion of someone who`s more....established than me.

You can express yourself all you want. There are dozens of people on these forums that know me in person. There are hundreds that have taken my advice to improve their reefs or increase their knowledge. Many people trust what I have to say because I have a track record. If you're concerned about your "lack of establishment" or that your opinions are falling on deaf ears or whatever it is you're actually whining about make a track record for yourself. Oh, but your life is just way too exciting to bother with such a pathetic waste of time.

mike31154
04-29-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm looking forward to a future build with basement sump. In the meantime I've been running a sumpless 77 gal that I aquired used from a lady in Richmond a few years ago. It came with a DIY HOB old school counter current wooden air diffuser skimmer. I was a total newb & had little clue as to what was in store for me. The only info I started with was a small book on SW aquariums my niece had given me for Xmas. About a year or so later I snagged a deal on another tank (65 gal) that was on sale locally. Added the livestock & LR to the 77 and replaced the old school skimmer with the RemoraC Pro that came with the 65.

Must say that I prefer the old DIY skimmer over the Remora. I found the Remora very noisy and only pulled mild tea out of my system. The price was right since it came with the 65 gallon, but I really don't think I'd spend the money on a new one. I ended up cracking the intake tubing one day and was happy to go back to the old DIY job. Much quieter and uses a fraction of the wattage as the beast of a Mag 3 pump that ran the Remora. After a few mods to the DIY skimmer it performs well. I'm now even to the point where I'm making my own 'monster' wooden air diffusers since the LFS around here don't stock wooden air stones with any regularity. It skims quite dry and the stuff I scrape out of the upper chamber is what I consider 'quality' gunk. I have a drain tube on the collection cup going to a 2 liter pop bottle and only need to empty that every few months, to give you an idea how dry I skim.

Debates on skimmers seem to get heated quite regularly. The cheapo used DIY unit is still running on my sumpless system and I have no plans to 'upgrade' until I do the basement sump build. At that time I'm considering another 'wood driven' DIY skimmer, only much taller since room won't be an issue. I have no problem changing wooden air stones every once in a while. Still one of the best methods to create very fine bubbles with a minimum requirement for high powered equipment. Other than the Remora and my DIY, I have zero experience or knowledge regarding skimmer technology. Most of what I see out there is beyond what I'm willing to spend to replace my current one.

I'd say Myka's advice on having your tank drilled now is a good idea, even if you don't plan a sump right away. As mentioned you can plug the holes until you're ready for a sump. At the very least this will save you some time when you make your move. The less time your livestock spends in temporary containers during a move, the better. As you've seen throughout this thread, there are a number of options open to you, including sumpless, skimmerless with more frequent water changes or going all out with overflow, sump, skimmer and all the fixins'. I guess it boils down to your budget and future plans. Either way I'm sure you'll be successful. Best of luck.

Here's my favourite skimmer. Foam head is quite white since it's just been cleaned. I've upgraded the air pump to a larger one since taking the photo:

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pUDMRVBqbji0Kl6MqA7aThJkE1yzv7caVse8wjx3FiRYnq6c ga-Eg1yfxFdRTRPgUKKSRjkcecG-jF8yZ4fKdCQ/P1010815d.jpg

Pre skimmer box with pump and skimmer output into separate compartment at far end:

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pS802BfMtEROny0l288CG-3xvzKC4IZBKFysr-BZQNcWuCL3D4lIqiVtN2jKUfoYH4-xK5CFE9RRw7uPjcCbDnw/P1030317a.JPG

bvlester
04-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi Mike i like your air driven skimmer and I have seen it in action works great. I don't think I will give up my Aqua Medic though as It works extreemly well for me.
So that air pump is working better for you?

Bill

mike31154
04-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi Mike i like your air driven skimmer and I have seen it in action works great. I don't think I will give up my Aqua Medic though as It works extreemly well for me.
So that air pump is working better for you?

Bill

Yes, the larger air pump makes a noticeable difference, especially since I purchased a plank of basswood and built my own wooden air diffuser. It's much larger than anything you can buy and since all four sides produce bubbles, way more efficient. I had to put a small rock inside it to help weigh it down, but it still wants to float. Meant to take a photo after gluing it together, but didn't.

Amante
04-30-2010, 03:11 PM
I also have a remora and it's awesome. Upgraded from a coralife which i thought is a bit too loud.

I use a remora pro I love it pulls some nasty sh;;;t:biggrin:

bvlester
04-30-2010, 04:45 PM
can you get some of the rubber coated lead weights wher you are. that maybe heavy enough. Being rubber coated it will not leach in to the tank. Also good to hear the air pump works well for you.

Bill

belzebuth
04-30-2010, 05:23 PM
One note about the remora C pro, It is noisy.

Madreefer
04-30-2010, 11:10 PM
There is a Deltec HOB for sale in the buy/sell section. Good price for brand new.