PDA

View Full Version : Vodka dosing interest

TheKid
04-27-2010, 03:47 PM
im thinking about vodka dosing my red sea max and was wondering if the skimmer is good enough. as well i was wondering how people have done using this method. and i also want to know if anyone had any problems using this method.

-Stefan:mrgreen:

Myka
04-27-2010, 03:55 PM
For something that small, why not use one of the commercially prepared carbon dosing products? Overdosing vodka when vodka dosing is very easy, and this risk would be substantiated by the small size of your tank.

You will also gain quite a lot if you're dosing bacteria as well as the carbon source. For Zeovit that would involve dosing Zeobak and Start2. Take a peek at the Fauna Marin version as well.

TheKid
04-27-2010, 04:00 PM
have zeovit but am tired of all the maintance especially since I'm only with my tank one week then one week gone. I was either this or prodbio

fishytime
04-27-2010, 04:02 PM
np pellets.....hang a reactor off the back fill it with pellets make sure they are tumbling and walk away.....oh yeah and make sure to watch the skimmer cup

Myka
04-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Ya the NP pellets might be the best option for you. You don't have to use all the Zeovit additives either. I recently cut out all the additives and am just using Start and Bak myself.

Zoaelite
04-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Ya the NP pellets might be the best option for you. You don't have to use all the Zeovit additives either. I recently cut out all the additives and am just using Start and Bak myself.

+1, Carbon dosing with vodka, sugar or other items can be EXTREMELY dangerous if not done correctly. I tried something very similar in my Bio cube 28g and crashed it very fast. Biopellets are an easy set and forget method.

fishoholic
04-27-2010, 07:22 PM
I did vodka dosing for a few months but it never did anything other then start to kill my zoas.

Coleus
04-27-2010, 09:47 PM
i dosed vodka and maybe i dosed it too fast. I lost half of my frogspawn and hammerhead corals