PDA

View Full Version : reef custodians

Milad
04-27-2010, 02:02 AM
so im checking out JL site and they have a 180g package for 500 bucks. Do i actually need these in one batch or should i just buy crabs/snails in small batches. also do they breed?

whatcaneyedo
04-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Small batches. Unless you really want them I'd avoid crabs all together. Mini brittle stars and some small varieties of snails like stomatella will reproduce themselves. But these are usually hitch hikers and not store bought types.

This thread is similar to yours.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62824&highlight=clean+crew

Milad
04-27-2010, 04:31 AM
why avoid crabs?
where should i buy the brittle stars and stomatella? im gonna be getting some reefer rock so i dont think ill have many hitchikers

zum14
04-27-2010, 04:32 AM
id have to agree, I just traded off my crabs and trying to trap my shrimps, my crabs were knocking stuff over and somthings been picking on my acan, also my peppermints decimated a piece of pocillopora, dont know why. (suspect other hitchhiker crabs as well which im also trying to trap)

kien
04-27-2010, 04:38 AM
You'll be adding these critters after you've cycled your tank right? :-). Just checking 'cuz your build thread says, "first ever aquarium" :-)

whatcaneyedo
04-27-2010, 04:40 AM
Crabs are opportunistic omnivorous. They will eat anything that is available. Hermits will occasionally kill your snails for their shells and each other for each others shells or just for a meal. Having just a few can be kind of fun for something to watch but I just dont trust any of them.

You could probably get some free mini brittle stars and stomatella snails off of another hobbyist that lives near you.

Most bristle worms are great custodians as well. The majority are at least safer than crabs in my opinion... they just dont look as nice.

Milad
04-27-2010, 05:00 AM
of course ill add them after i cycle my tank! well now i will anyways...

ponokareefer
04-27-2010, 05:11 AM
As others have pointed out, either avoid crabs all together, or only get a couple of smaller hermit crabs. I have a couple of them, but only as something neat to have in the tank, not as a major part of the clean up crew. Also, shrimp can and will steal food from corals. I have some in my tank though, as they just look so awesome, that I can tolerate the stealing.
Snails are one of the best part of a clean up crew in my opinion. Get a good variety, and you should be good to go. The one snail per gallon and a half rule is really high though. I would say maximum for you size of tank should be 50. I only have about 20 in my 125 gallon. Avoid the bumble bee snails though.
Also, a brittle star can do a really good job of cleaning things up. Just avoid the green ones, as they will eat your fish.

lastlight
04-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Yes I mistakenly bought a green/serpent star for my first tank and it does very well at hunting. Amazingly fun to feed though.

My shrimp were terrible thieves as well but I plan to have one or maybe 2 again as I love them. I would mash some food onto my hand (cyclopeeze I think or maybe reef roids) and set my hand in the water. They'd climb aboard and go to town. Only downside was they were so well trained that I had to basically carry them around on me when I did and maintenance with my hands in the tank!

BlueAbyss
04-28-2010, 04:50 AM
IMO, you should consider snails livestock and try not to overdo it. They depend on algae growth to survive, so you don't want them starving to death.

I have an Emerald Crab and an unidentified nocturnal hitchhiker crab in my 5.5, and while I haven't outright noticed any issues with them (and have seen the hitchhiker eating algae) the growth rate of my zoas isn't very good.