PDA

View Full Version : Invert hitchiker ID

Palmer
04-27-2010, 01:21 AM
I noticed this hitchhiker about a month ago. It is hard to see it in the picture since it's whole body is a clear sac except for the 4 or 5 antenna/tubes/sticks that come out of it. I have looked through a number of sources and the only thing that seems to come close to this is some sort of sea pen but I am not sure never having seen one up close. I have seen it twice once at the base of my live rock attached to it with antenna upward and today under an arch in my live rock with antenna going forward towards the open water.

Any thoughts on what this is?

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz122/PalmerC12/P4260183.jpg

NU-2reef
04-27-2010, 01:34 AM
spaghetti worm. reef safe and beneficial

Palmer
04-27-2010, 02:00 AM
Thanks, I dismissed spagetti worms because the antenna looked rigid almost like the front of a shrimp. I thought spagetti worms had flexible tentacles? But I know there are lots of different kinds of spagetti worms.

bvlester
04-27-2010, 06:08 AM
could be a co-pod or some other type of pod???? I have something that kind of looks like a shrimp but stays small about 1/2 to 3/4 inch at the largest. They move prity fast and do not like light. I looked them up on the internet and figured it to be a co-pod of some sort. Fish eat them all the time.

Bill

NU-2reef
04-27-2010, 08:36 AM
could be a co-pod or some other type of pod???? I have something that kind of looks like a shrimp but stays small about 1/2 to 3/4 inch at the largest. They move prity fast and do not like light. I looked them up on the internet and figured it to be a co-pod of some sort. Fish eat them all the time.

Bill

you are talking about amphipods. that is not an amphipod