PDA

View Full Version : Two dwarf angels in the same tank (different species): Yes or No?

trilinearmipmap
04-27-2010, 01:09 AM
I've had a Flame Angel for a long time in a 120 reef, I was thinking of adding another dwarf angel such as perhaps a coral beauty, what are people's experiences with this?

skabooya
04-27-2010, 01:10 AM
generally 2 angels in a system is a no no BUT, if the system is big enough and has enough hiding places it should be okay depending on the personalities of the fish.

Chowder
04-27-2010, 01:26 AM
I have a Coral Beauty and two Swallow Tails in my 5 foot 105G. I have had the Swallow Tails for about Four days so far. The two Swallows don't bother each other but the Coral Beauty in the first two days went after one of them every so often. It was the same one every time and left the other bigger one alone. It know completly ignores them and kinda hangs with them. It is still early to tell though. I know with the Swallow tails you can keep them in groups mostly with one male and a few females. The two Swallow Tails I have are both female.

Chris

globaldesigns
04-27-2010, 01:28 AM
I have a flame and a potters angel together in my 180G. You have a 120G, so you may be ok... However, the first fish may be territorial for a bit, so it is a chance you take.

Personally I had my first flame angel dissappear, don't know where it went, so after some time I replaced him. My potters did chase him for a few days, but after that they were ok with each other.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-27-2010, 02:05 AM
I have had as many as 3 dwarf angels in the same tank, with little problems. The older flame may be very territorial. Hopefully the fighting is just for a short while.

kien
04-27-2010, 02:24 AM
I have a Flame that is established in my 150g reef and tried to introduce a potters about a month ago. The flame nearly killed the potters. Chased and nipped nearly all of his fins off. Luckily the potters was so scared he would seek refuge in the net that I dunked into the tank to catch him with.

fishoholic
04-27-2010, 03:20 AM
I have a Flame that is established in my 150g reef and tried to introduce a potters about a month ago. The flame nearly killed the potters. Chased and nipped nearly all of his fins off. Luckily the potters was so scared he would seek refuge in the net that I dunked into the tank to catch him with.

:surprise: That's good to know I was half thinking of adding a potters some day to my 230g, but I wouldn't want my Flame to hurt it.

trilinearmipmap
04-27-2010, 03:34 AM
OK sounds like it is touch and go. Probably not a good idea if there is maybe a 50% chance it won't work out, I'll add something else instead. Thanks for the replies.

burtonpj48
04-27-2010, 04:05 AM
I have a flame and coral beauty in a 90 gallon tank. At first they would stay at either side of the tank. When one fish goes to the others territory, they would chase each other back to thier side. They both stressed each other out, both fish got itch. So I had to quarantine them in a 10 gallon. Eventually they had to learn to get along. When all the itch was cleared, I returned them in my display, and the two never had problems since. Some fish get along and some just dont. Hope the pair u find get along, Thats all you can really hope for.

Coleus
04-28-2010, 09:56 PM
I have a golden angel for 4 months and then I put multicolor angel for 2 month and then recently a flame angel on the same 155 gallon tank. The golden angel is a shy fish and did not do anything to muilti color one, but she chases the flame angel whenever she sees it. My flame angel lost a little bit of tail but is overall ok (I hope). When I feed only the flame and multi color come.

I have read couple ppl articles who successful keeping different kind of dwarf angels in the same tank by introducing the least aggressive one first and then more and more aggressive one later. I think the flame angel is a very aggressive one so I don't think it will do well with coral beauty unless you can introduce them at the same time. But try it and who knows, there is always exception in this hobby :-) Good luck

Doo
04-28-2010, 10:04 PM
have 3 with no issues!

ponokareefer
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
I had 3 together in a 33 gallon for 3 years, then transferred them to my larger setup where they lived together for another 2 years. They would squabble, but there was never any pieces of tail missing ever.
If you're looking for other beautiful colors in a fish, there are a tonne of wrasses that are reef safe, unlike dwarf angels. Just make sure you have a top though in case they jump.

banditpowdercoat
04-29-2010, 12:38 AM
I have a flame and Coral beauty in my 150g and they get along great.