PDA

View Full Version : Anthelia!!

ColinD
04-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Okay, so I've fallen a bit behind in my tank up-keep, everything seems to be alright, polyp extension and colour of my SPS are good, zoa's are somewhat decent, but my tank is now being over run with Anthellia. What started as a little bit on a frag plug has turned into a choking mass that is threatening to over run everything. I've tried with little or no success to eradicate it with kalk paste and it is impossible to peel off of my rock work, does anyone have any suggestions short of nuking the whole tank and starting over?

Thanks
Colin

04scoobysti
04-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Boil your rock and start over, or just salvage what corals you can and sell off the affected rock to someone who wants it. Anthelia can be a plague, best of luck!

saltwaterseahorses
04-26-2010, 10:39 PM
ugh! oh my god! someones said there going to give me some anthellia for free, actually a bag of it, no wonder, im not gunna take it anymore

whatcaneyedo
04-27-2010, 01:12 AM
I got it under control by removing rocks from my tank and sitting them in my dark sump for a while. Eventually the anthelia shrinks and basically falls off of the rock.

saltwaterseahorses
04-27-2010, 01:13 AM
ok well i asked to not get it lol

ColinD
04-27-2010, 03:14 AM
I got it under control by removing rocks from my tank and sitting them in my dark sump for a while. Eventually the anthelia shrinks and basically falls off of the rock.
How Long?

Colin

whatcaneyedo
04-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Whats left should peel off of the rock easily after a month in the dark. Its been a while so I dont recall the exact amount of time that I waited. This was the best method that worked for me. Scraping and scrubbing always seems to leave some behind which grows back.

ColinD
04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
I have a few really encrusted SPS, what effect would 30 days of darkness have on them?

Colin

fishytime
04-27-2010, 04:11 PM
I have a few really encrusted SPS, what effect would 30 days of darkness have on them?

Colin

time to break out the hammer and chisel.......I took out the rocks and literally cut/chiseled/dremeled out the entire portion under the xenia I was try to "move"........no trace left......

kien
04-27-2010, 04:14 PM
I had a patch of Xenia I wanted to eliminate once. What i did was, after cutting/scraping the main stalks off of the rock, I smothered the remaining bits that was on the rock with a layer of epoxy :biggrin:

whatcaneyedo
04-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Colin

They would be dead too so you would need to remove them as best you can if you want to follow my method. However when I chipped my pavona off of the rock and then left the rock in the dark for a month the encrusted portion of the pavona did come back to life once the rock was returned to the light. Buts its a really hearty SPS. I doubt an acropora could do that.