PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Flame Angel Not Well

DiverDude
04-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I added a Flame Angel to my tank on April 1. He's always been shy and I'm planning on re-aquascaping so he doesn't have quite so many places to hide.

4-5 days ago, I noticed his coulour was off a bit. This morning when I shut the Koralias off to feed, he came out and paraded around a bit and I got a really good look at him and he's definately not well. He's pale and has some kind of skin issue. It appears like his mucus is rough (he's not got his usual sheen) and slightly milky and isn't adhering to his body as it would normally. I don't think it's ich but it does have a white-ish powdery sort of look to it.

He's eating but he seems a slightly lethargic.

Thoughts ?

kien
04-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Have you added anything else recently? What you describe sounds like Marine Velvet (http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=83). I would take out the flame and hospitalize him so you can observe and treat. Also keep an eye out on the other fish as what he has is probably very contagious. If it is Marine Velvet (I hope it isn't!!), it can wipe out your whole tank if not treated soon.. like right now!

globaldesigns
04-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Have you added anything else recently? What you describe sounds like Marine Velvet (http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=83). I would take out the flame and hospitalize him so you can observe and treat. Also keep an eye out on the other fish as what he has is probably very contagious. If it is Marine Velvet (I hope it isn't!!), it can wipe out your whole tank if not treated soon.. like right now!

+1, could be marine velvet... Mark post some pic's if you can, so we can see.

DiverDude
04-26-2010, 06:51 PM
From the decription, I can't say that it couldn't be marine velvet. All that has been added to this tank since the Angel (who was put in at the same time as a Green Chromis and a Bulldozer Shrimp -all of which came from the same, established tank) is a piece of SPS from and a Star Polyp frag (both from Globaldesigns' tank).

All other tank inhabitants seem fine (eating and behaving normally). Tested fro Amonia, Nitite and Nitrate this morning and all are zero. I did a 5 gal water change yesterday (as I usually do each week).

I have some copper treatment I got with the tank but I don't have a quarantine tank to administer it in ! Catching him might be a challenge as well.

from what I gather, treating copper in my display may help the angel but will harm just about everything else !

gaargh !

globaldesigns
04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
From the decription, I can't say that it couldn't be marine velvet. All that has been added to this tank since the Angel (who was put in at the same time as a Green Chromis and a Bulldozer Shrimp -all of which came from the same, established tank) is a piece of SPS from and a Star Polyp frag (both from Globaldesigns' tank).

All other tank inhabitants seem fine (eating and behaving normally). Tested fro Amonia, Nitite and Nitrate this morning and all are zero. I did a 5 gal water change yesterday (as I usually do each week).

I have some copper treatment I got with the tank but I don't have a quarantine tank to administer it in ! Catching him might be a challenge as well.

from what I gather, treating copper in my display may help the angel but will harm just about everything else !

gaargh !

Don't put any copper in your tank. Copper will kill your inverts, but more importantly will ruin your rock for future inverts etc. Treating with copper should be kept to a quarantine tank only, IMO...

My tank is clean, so giving you 2 frags wouldn't of given you any disease.

HMMMM, was the flame angel from a LFS? my first potters angel had a flesh eating disease, and developed a few days after getting him. I returned him and got another, maybe it came with the fish.

If you come over, I have some liquid vitamins and some liquid garlic that you may want to try using. You soak it into the food, and will hopefully give him some boost to fight whatever it is.

Let me know, I am around if you want to come grab it to try.

Rick

DiverDude
04-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Nope, the angel (and cromis and bulldozer shrimp) came from a guy who was shutting down his tank due to a move.

DiverDude
04-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Well, I went to Red Coral to pickup some vitimins for him and raced home to try and start treatment but he was already gone.

kien
04-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Make sure you keep a very close eye on the other fish. If it is Marine Velvet it can be very contagious and can develop very very quickly. By the time you see the typical symptoms it is almost too late :sad:

globaldesigns
04-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Mark, sorry to hear of the loss... Keep an eye on things, and don't put anymore fish in there until you know things have stabilized.

hqgc
04-27-2010, 02:51 AM
sounds like flukes! Just went through it , lost my whole tank! possibly treat with prazipro?
anyone?

bvlester
04-27-2010, 06:22 AM
sounds like flukes here to me too. Prazi-pro can be used in a reef tank the only thing that I have had react to it was a Nem but he just closed up and bounced back. If it is flukes you will have to do 3 treatments 1 now one in 7 day and another in 3 weeks. to get all the eggs. so do a 5 day treatment with air off to the skimmer run a air stone in the sump no carbon. after the 5 days turn air on in the skimmer and run carbon then after 2-3 days treat again for 5 day. after 3 week from start of the first treatment start the last treatment for 5 days. that should do it for the flukes. Prazi-pro will also treat for other parasites so if you don't know exactly what it is but you do know it's a parasite then do the prazi-pro treatment. I have used it to treat flukes in my old 55g DT after getting a fish with them it was one of the first fish I added to the tank after cycle the 2 other fish fared well. I think I stressed him to much trying to catch him and get him in the QT and then it was down hill from there. so I had to treat the DT for the flukes as they were in there for sure as the clowns started shaking their heads swimming erratically.

DiverDude
04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Whatever it is, my damsel has it now. I don't like the damsel (been trying to catch him for a while) but....

The first sign is white spots on the tail and a generally rought looking body mucus.

I can't catch the fish and I can't put copper in the tank.I have to go to work and don't get back until ~9pm so I can't really empty the tank and then catch the fish. That said, anything I can't treat in the tank is going to run it's course and there's not much I can do about it.

oh happy days.....

DiverDude
04-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Ok so I ran over to Pisces (it's a few blocks from me) and found prazi-pro but the guy I was speaking with recommended a different line (Microbe-Lift) which had complementary products -"Artemiss" which covers fin rot, fungus, milky skin etc. and "Herbtana" which treats parasitic infections like ich and flukes.

All natural and completely reef safe.

I've dosed the Artemiss and will does the Herbtana tonight and see if I can nail this.