This might be the way to go for SPS.

http://pacificsunusa.com/?page_id=492

Has anyone seen any reviews on these?

abcha0s
04-26-2010, 04:58 AM
I am also interested.

Zoaelite
04-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Wow the level of control on that feature is unbelievable! Prices is a little steep though, I think we will be seeing a large increase in the number of LED reefs shortly.
Levi

Ron99
04-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Looks decent but pricey. Would want to see an independent test with PAR measurements to see penetration at depth as I don't see any optics. Also it doesn't look big at about 14" x 8" so I would also want to see coverage as any decent sized tank will need more units (at least the slave units are slightly cheaper). So let's guess one master unit and two slave units for a 48" tank and you're looking at $3000. I honestly don't know why the costs have to be that high. The cost of the LEDs has come down greatly in the last few years.

The various lighting options would not be hard to do with LEDS. Just needs a computer programmer to set it all up. No magic there but it is nice to have all the options.

viperfish
04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
I emailed them on the optics thing and they are available for all Cree LED's but have to be purchase as an extra. I think they should be included for the price they are asking. I just think the whole bluetooth thing is so cool, you can sit in your chair and configure the lights wirelessly.

Gaffer
04-26-2010, 06:31 PM
I emailed them on the optics thing and they are available for all Cree LED's but have to be purchase as an extra. I think they should be included for the price they are asking. I just think the whole bluetooth thing is so cool, you can sit in your chair and configure the lights wirelessly.

I understand the rationale for not including the optics because everyone would want different setups. Cree optics are pretty cheap any way.

Andrew

abcha0s
04-26-2010, 06:46 PM
I found this link particularily interesting as it show PAR values.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/aloha-tropics/75037-pacificsun-leds-stock.html

There is a link to an Advanced Aquarist article. The article does not review this specific brand of LED lighting but has similar PAR tables that can be used as a comparison.

ScubaSteve
04-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Very cool indeed. Tons of light but tons of pesos.

Ron99
04-26-2010, 07:28 PM
looks promising but would still like to see PAR readings higher in the tank as well. Might still be a big drop off outside the center of the tank with only the one light unit.

viperfish
04-26-2010, 07:32 PM
This one is not as deluxe but I would be curious to see its PAR values. The price is a little more reasonable.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/21/rf120-led-pendant-from-reef-fanatic-packs-120-watts-of-11-reef-light/#more-17995

Ron99
04-26-2010, 08:36 PM
This one is not as deluxe but I would be curious to see its PAR values. The price is a little more reasonable.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/21/rf120-led-pendant-from-reef-fanatic-packs-120-watts-of-11-reef-light/#more-17995

1 watt LEDs, probably generic chinese emitters (which have lower output then the better known brands). I wouldn't bother unless it was for lower light applications. Softies etc.

StirCrazy
04-27-2010, 01:37 PM

the problem with that is you also have to know what spacing the LEDs are on the fixture or when you order your optics you might order some that require to tight of a spacing and creat a bunch of min spotlights.

Steve

viperfish
04-27-2010, 02:39 PM
the problem with that is you also have to know what spacing the LEDs are on the fixture or when you order your optics you might order some that require to tight of a spacing and creat a bunch of min spotlights.

Steve

Good point.

Anyone heard anything on the Maxspect lights? They are using Cree now and seem to have a lot of bang for the buck.

Ron99
04-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Good point.

Anyone heard anything on the Maxspect lights? They are using Cree now and seem to have a lot of bang for the buck.

They seem alright but I don't like the idea of using the 30W LEDs (not Cree as Cree does not make this type). Those LEDs are nowhere near as efficient as 3W LEDs, especially something like a Cree. Also, they create hotspots right under them which means you will have to more picky about where you place various corals.

Red Coral Aquariums
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Vertex has just put out a LED lighting system and it looks incredible. As soon as I get the specs and pix I will post them
Kevin

OceanicCorals-Ian-
04-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Vertex has just put out a LED lighting system and it looks incredible. As soon as I get the specs and pix I will post them
Kevin

The Vertex light does look very cool...........

04scoobysti
04-27-2010, 04:51 PM
you mean this one? Vertex Lumina (http://www.oceaniccorals.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=505)

Ron99
04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Interesting way to do it. I'll be interested to see PAR readings at depth as this has no optics as well as PAR measurements front to back since all the LEDS are in the center. Even though the viewing angle of the LEDs is supposed to be 120 degrees there is a fall off in intensity off center.

hillegom
04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Thats some cool fixture. But whoaaa, the price

viperfish
04-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Seems like the width coverage is there but with one fixture it looks like you would have to line your corals up single file across the tank! Ha ha! I wonder what kind of area it covers?

albert_dao
04-28-2010, 01:21 AM
24" spread back to front.

Ron99
04-28-2010, 02:39 AM
24" spread back to front.

I see that is what they say but I still would like to see PAR measurements. There will be a drop off in intensity off center and PAR may only be good in the middle 10 to 12 inches of the tank. It's a compromise. Try to get wider coverage by skipping optics and you have less penetration and lower PAR at depth. Add optics and you need more emitters to cover the tank.

I really don't understand their layout. I have a 48" array using 80 LEDs spaced over the whole 48" by 15". They have 128 LEDs in their 48" array all clustered down the center. Maybe that's how they get the PAR up without optics; by using so many more LEDS. But they probably could have accomplished the same thing using fewer LEDS spaced more evenly with optics thus using less energy and keeping the cost down a bit.

Personally I would wait to see some independent reviews and PAR measurements before spending that sort of money on this fixture.

StirCrazy
04-28-2010, 04:14 AM
I really don't understand their layout. I have a 48" array using 80 LEDs spaced over the whole 48" by 15". They have 128 LEDs in their 48" array all clustered down the center. Maybe that's how they get the PAR up without optics; by using so many more LEDS. But they probably could have accomplished the same thing using fewer LEDS spaced more evenly with optics thus using less energy and keeping the cost down a bit.

Personally I would wait to see some independent reviews and PAR measurements before spending that sort of money on this fixture.

I wonder if they are alternating the angles of the LEDs so the first one shines back, the next one center then next one front ect.. this will give them a sleaker look, alows the use of optics but still maintain PAR on the edges good. this is actualy how I was going to do mine.. guess I can't do it that way if some one is already doing it, got to think up something different again now:mrgreen:

Steve

Ron99
04-28-2010, 05:53 AM
I wonder if they are alternating the angles of the LEDs so the first one shines back, the next one center then next one front ect.. this will give them a sleaker look, alows the use of optics but still maintain PAR on the edges good. this is actualy how I was going to do mine.. guess I can't do it that way if some one is already doing it, got to think up something different again now:mrgreen:

Steve

Doesn't look like that's how they are doing it and I believe I read that it uses no optics.

Ron99
04-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Just to add it looks like circular clusters of 8 LEDs every 6 inches down the center.

StirCrazy
04-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Just to add it looks like circular clusters of 8 LEDs every 6 inches down the center.

ya, what I ment is they could be milling a circle into it that has a slight angle profile. wouldn't take much and would hardly be noticable from any more than a couple feet, but untill some one buys one who knoes.

Steve

Ron99
04-28-2010, 03:40 PM
ya, what I ment is they could be milling a circle into it that has a slight angle profile. wouldn't take much and would hardly be noticable from any more than a couple feet, but untill some one buys one who knoes.

Steve

I would say probably not as they say the modules are replaceable. To me that says each one is a single circular MCPCB holding the emitters and I think it would be very difficult and costly to have those made angled or contoured rather than flat.

I suspect they are just clustering as many LEDS together as possible to increase the output in the assumption that the lack of optics will provide enough spread. In the end it may well work for many people as most probably have their SPS in the back and center part of the tank anyhow and the front is usually free of corals or has lower light corals further down. So perhaps they figured it will work for a good proportion of tanks. But its not how I would want to do it. I have the same size array using nearly 40% fewer LEDS and electricity with a much more even spread of light.

abcha0s
04-28-2010, 05:02 PM
I received a response to my inquiry about PAR.

>> Begin cut and paste

Please see attached PAR analysis at 29" for Black Python 160W. Also, we offer 30 day money back gurantee if results posted are off by 10%. We will be submitting our lamp to well known US aquarists for additional test to support our claim.

at 29" BP 160W without any focal lenses has over 200 PAR reading. I think it is obvious that it is supperior to any MH or T5 lighting.

>> End cut and paste

The PAR anaylsis is here:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/rniedzia/BP160W-70.jpg

While costly, the Pacific Sun "Deimon" 3 x 160W fixture with 2 x 80W T5 looks pretty sweet.

http://pacificsunusa.com/?page_id=507 - $3499.00USD

This really isn't much more expensive than the Solaris PFO fixtures.

Ron99
04-29-2010, 04:25 PM
I received a response to my inquiry about PAR.

>> Begin cut and paste

Please see attached PAR analysis at 29" for Black Python 160W. Also, we offer 30 day money back gurantee if results posted are off by 10%. We will be submitting our lamp to well known US aquarists for additional test to support our claim.

at 29" BP 160W without any focal lenses has over 200 PAR reading. I think it is obvious that it is supperior to any MH or T5 lighting.

>> End cut and paste

The PAR anaylsis is here:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/rniedzia/BP160W-70.jpg

While costly, the Pacific Sun "Deimon" 3 x 160W fixture with 2 x 80W T5 looks pretty sweet.

http://pacificsunusa.com/?page_id=507 - $3499.00USD

This really isn't much more expensive than the Solaris PFO fixtures.

I did see this chart, possibly on their website. It is only at one distance. Is this in air or in water? Also, what are the PAR measurements at different distances or depths. Such as 6 inches down the tank and 12 inches down etc. I would want to see independent measurements first as I have seen all sorts of manufacturers claims on PAR etc. that were to good to be true.

As for cost, the costs of LEDs has come down dramatically since the Solaris fixtures were available so I think these are a bit overpriced now.