PDA

View Full Version : having trouble starting ASM G2 skimmer

hqgc
04-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Hello,
I am having trouble getting my asm g2 "started". The past few months I have had to plug the intake with my finger to start the pump. I have taken it apart and cleaned out the pump and impeller. It seems that the impeller is not sitting properly in the pump.
- any idea?
-would the replacement pump be a sedra 3500?
-if so, can you buy one in Edmonton?

thanks

ALBERTA REEF
04-26-2010, 03:41 AM
Is the pump shaft broken or any of the rubber bushing supports missing?

hqgc
04-26-2010, 04:44 AM
Is the pump shaft broken or any of the rubber bushing supports missing?

no , it all seems to be fine....

ALBERTA REEF
04-26-2010, 05:13 AM
When the pump is cleaned and put back together, does it spin free for a quik 10 second test? Any mods done to the pump, Mesh mod or venture air port mod?

globaldesigns
04-26-2010, 05:38 AM
Is the pump chattering, basically trying to spin but isn't? If it is a venturi, try blowing in the venturi tube, that should get things spinning.

My hydor, has 3 pumps, as it is a recirc... the 2 recirc pumps sit on their sides and don't always want to start when I turn it off. I blow into the venturi tube and they start right away, every time.

Hope that helps.

Delphinus
04-26-2010, 07:03 AM
When I ran an ASM skimmer, the Sedra pump it ran on, seemed to be prone to the impeller magnet starting to bulge out over time, and it would have trouble starting after a while. Had to replace the impeller altogether. The bulging was very subtle, at first I didn't believe that was the cause, but it was. New impeller, pump had no trouble. Think I only got around 18 months per impeller replacement.

hqgc
04-27-2010, 02:54 AM
When the pump is cleaned and put back together, does it spin free for a quik 10 second test? Any mods done to the pump, Mesh mod or venture air port mod?

it does spin no problem, and there is no mods.

ponokareefer
04-27-2010, 05:00 AM
My pump quit on my ASM 2 last summer, and I ended up having to replace the pump after diagnosing that nothing else was the problem. If you do end up going with a new pump, look at the sedra 5000 instead of a new 3500. The 5000 worked much better than the 3500 did for me, and was still able to connect it with no issues. I don't recall where I ended up getting the pump from.