PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen

benjoss
05-06-2002, 10:39 PM
Hello, this might sound like a no brainer but what is the best way to have more oxygen in your water?

Thank You

reefburnaby
05-06-2002, 11:18 PM
Hi,

Either a skimmer or lots of water movement along the surface of the water (i.e. blowing a power head across the surface of the water and creating disturbances) should help increase oxygen.

- Victor.

Samw
05-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Definitely a protein skimmer. A powerhead helps but isn't as effective as a protein skimmer using a venturi. I'm going to purchase a dissolved oxygen test kit and test the levels of O2 with a protein skimmer running and then with just a powerhead several hours later to see how fast it drops.

Another benefit of oxygenating with a skimmer, besides skimming the water, is that you don't get the salt splash from using a hang-on powerhead with a venturi.

[ 06 May 2002, 20:21: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Delphinus
05-07-2002, 01:30 AM
Would be interested to see the results of that, Sam!

cheers

Samw
05-07-2002, 01:34 AM
You got it Tony. I'll run the tests and post my results as soon as I get the test kit.

reefburnaby
05-07-2002, 02:20 AM
Hi,

With the water movement, I was referring to putting a spray bar and aggitating the water surface. This technique is commonly used in fresh water tanks. Waves in the ocean create the same effect. There is no need for a venturi.

- Victor.

Achilles
05-07-2002, 01:51 PM
There are 2 other ways I can think of that will maximize your oxygen levels.

1 - Growing macroalgae in a sump or refugium will help suck out CO2 and introduce O2 into your water.

2 - Create a small oxygen reactor. I would only recommend doing this if you have TONS of fish that are breathing really quickly, otherwise this method is generally obsolete now.

Keep in mind that there is probably lot's of oxygen generating areas in your tank already. Power heads do a great deal at the water surface, skimming, and even water tumbling down the overflow makes a difference.

Just my .02

Jeff

benjoss
05-07-2002, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the help. I am going to change the location of my powerhead.