PDA

View Full Version : Stupid aptasia

saltwaterseahorses
04-25-2010, 10:49 PM
UHHHH GUESS WHAT, I GET HOME! AND THERES MY APTASIA THAT IM GETTING OUTTA MY TANK, SO I GO WITH MY TWEEZERS AND TRY TO GRAB IT BUT WHAT DOES IT DO, OH WELL KNOWING THEM IT GOES DEEP INTO THE SAND, AND SINKS, KNOWING ME I STARTED THINKING OF HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE FOR IT TOO COME BACK UP, NOW I HAVE TOO WAIT..........:sad:

globaldesigns
04-25-2010, 10:52 PM
I use Kalk paste and a syringe. The kalk won't disrupt your aquarium, but you can easily get the Kalk paste on and in the aptasia and usually kill it in one dose. It works well for me. You can get the syringes at your local drug store like Shoppers.

saltwaterseahorses
04-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Thxss soooooooooooooo much also i have joesjuice and it says it controls aiptasia and majano! It looks like a cream, also i finaally frigin see my aptasia i should torture it once i get it!!! Joking i wouldnt do that i will just flush it

Milad
04-25-2010, 11:28 PM
from my research (which is limited) mechincally removing aptasia (e.g. with a tweezers) is bad idea. It replicated. Slap some lemon juice in a syringe and kill the bugger.

saltwaterseahorses
04-26-2010, 12:06 AM
oops i already flushed it also it was living in the sand i dont think it will spread now and i have the stuff called joe'sjuice and it kills majano and aiptasia so couldnt i just put that in? its like a cream!

intarsiabox
04-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Joe's Juice works fine (I think it's just kalk paste so you could also make your own) for the visible ones. I would consider a couple of peppermint shrimp for your tank. They will eat all the one you can't see. I had a big problem when I first started and was using Joe's Juice for months but they kept coming back. After I put the shrimp in I haven't seen an aiptasia in 2 years.

saltwaterseahorses
04-26-2010, 12:28 AM
mk, also im getting seahorses soon thats why im not sure bout the shrimp because i dont know bout them with the seahorses but i will research then reply! lol

TheKid
04-26-2010, 12:49 AM
I like joes juice but rather then using the crappy syregine that comes with it I use a needle and I find it works alot better!

saltwaterseahorses
04-26-2010, 12:50 AM
what do i do aftr the joes juice is all over the needle?

Milad
04-26-2010, 12:50 AM
if you are looking for syregines ive seen a bunch in DT by the dumpsters. probably could use one of those...

saltwaterseahorses
04-26-2010, 12:51 AM
mk

Madreefer
04-26-2010, 04:34 AM
mk, also im getting seahorses soon thats why im not sure bout the shrimp because i dont know bout them with the seahorses but i will research then reply! lol

I have one single peppermint shrimp with my seahorse. Has never bothered her. I have the shrimp in there to take care of any aptasia that may pop up. In my opinion aptasia will do more harm than a peppermint shrimp. What are you going to be running for a system for your seahorse tank? As in for tank size and height? Are you going to be able to meet their needs for them to survive more than a couple of months?

monocus
04-26-2010, 03:48 PM
use lemon juice in the needle-kalkwasser or joes juice would be too thick for the needle,and i find joes juice too thin -dissapates in a current.if you start having a bigger problem with the aptasia-i am willing to trade berghia for aptasia

globaldesigns
04-26-2010, 04:49 PM
use lemon juice in the needle-kalkwasser or joes juice would be too thick for the needle,and i find joes juice too thin -dissapates in a current.if you start having a bigger problem with the aptasia-i am willing to trade berghia for aptasia

Sorry Monocus, but I disagree... I use a syringe purchased from Shoppers drug mart and use a Kalk paste with no issues. Remember it isn't actually pastey, but a thick liquid. Also the nice thing is that because it is thicker than lemon juice, it will stay in place even when there is flow in the tank.

Ron99
04-26-2010, 05:21 PM
I used lemon juice but the trick is to have a sharp needle and pierce the aiptasia. Injecting the lemon juice into the body nukes it immediately. I have done it this way for the occasional majano or aiptasia that showed up on a frag and have never had a problem with them spreading.

monocus
04-27-2010, 05:21 AM
sorry-i,m using a wavemaker and a wave box in my aquarium-the joes juice tends to not stay put as it is thinner than mixing the kalkwasser paste myself,and that even gets dissipated by the current,or i'm left with a blob of thick kaulkwasser on my rock for a week.one of the reasons i started breeding berghia

trilinearmipmap
04-27-2010, 05:53 AM
I have some aiptasia in one of my tanks. I have used Aiptasia-X, it works temporarily but then the aiptasia just grows back. I don't have time to do repeat injections every week so I was thinking of trying peppermint shrimp.

I have two cleaner shrimp in the tank right now, also some zoanthids. I am not sure if the cleaner shrimp will try to eat the peppermint shrimp. And I am pretty sure the peppermint shrimp will eat the zoanthids.

Maybe I will try the injecting lemon juice with a sharp needle into the body of the aiptasia thing first.

saltwaterseahorses
05-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I have one single peppermint shrimp with my seahorse. Has never bothered her. I have the shrimp in there to take care of any aptasia that may pop up. In my opinion aptasia will do more harm than a peppermint shrimp. What are you going to be running for a system for your seahorse tank? As in for tank size and height? Are you going to be able to meet their needs for them to survive more than a couple of months?
hey, and I have been researching for round 2 years on seahorse and it turns out i I have a great chance on having them survive so yah. But I'm getting Barbouri seahorse since there easier to breed but I have a 35 gallon, with live rock, and scooter blenny, By The Way everyone APTASIA IS GONE!!!! But yah at the end of May I will be getting some barbs but other then that its al good, also my tank is 2.1/5 feet tall and its around 3 feet in length and 2 feet in width, and i have candy cane coral, montipora digi coral,some zoas including, death purple, watermelon, stony grey, green, and some others, I also have a toadstool mushroom, and a Yellow Finger Leather, and a devils hand coral, and xenia, and I'm soon getting either a gorgonian or a dendro coral!

Gaffer
05-01-2010, 09:09 PM
How about electrocution?

A guy over on reef central has been zapping them with a device he made.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1808040

I find that Joes is easier to apply if you turn off your pumps when you do it.

Andrew