PDA

View Full Version : Thompson's Tang?

josie
04-25-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm looking to add a fish (since our beautyfull desjardini tang died :( ) to our set-up...
I was thinking getting a Thompson Tang ( Acanthurus thompsoni)
anyone has one?? you can post pics of it please?

150g sps dominated tank
here's the list of fish that's in:
2 clown occelaris
1 liretail anthias
1 pajama cardinal
1 benggai cardinal
2 glass cardinal
1 swallow tail angel
1 coral beauty angel
1 tang yellow
1 copperband butterfly
2 chromis
1 spotted mandarin
4 clown gobies green
2 tailspoted blennies
other:
2 cleaner shrimp
1 red shrimp
1 sexy shrimp
2 conchs
hermites and snails

BC Mosaic
04-25-2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.fantasyreef.com/database.php?p=viewitem&dbid=7&itemid=291

There are prettier tangs out there IMO i.e. Mata, Vlamingi, Atlantic Blue and even the Chocolate Tang is a work of art!

Just my $0.02

josie
04-25-2010, 11:29 PM
There are prettier tangs out there IMO i.e. Mata, Vlamingi, Atlantic Blue and even the Chocolate Tang is a work of art!

Just my $0.02

thanks!

Mata grows up to 12"
Vlamingi too active, will domage the decor and wont have enought swimming space...
Atlantic Blue maybe
Chocolate Tang maybe

BC Mosaic
04-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Right. I looked at your tank journal and then forgot that you had down sized. :redface:

The Chocolate Tang is very docile and besides grazing on LR it also grazes on the substrate which is really bonus. Also it's not prone to ich like some others. Pictures don't do this fish justice. I have a mature one and he is gorgeous.

I bet your Yellow Tang will beat the crap out of any Tang that you will place in your tank. Mine did - for a day. Then things settled down somewhat. Nipped and torn fins healed quick.

Happy shopping

josie
04-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Right. I looked at your tank journal and then forgot that you had down sized. :redface:

The Chocolate Tang is very docile and besides grazing on LR it also grazes on the substrate which is really bonus. Also it's not prone to ich like some others. Pictures don't do this fish justice. I have a mature one and he is gorgeous.

I bet your Yellow Tang will beat the crap out of any Tang that you will place in your tank. Mine did - for a day. Then things settled down somewhat. Nipped and torn fins healed quick.

Happy shopping

Thanks ;) yes we downsized.. lol.. I miss the choice of fish I had in the 265g.. but think the 150g looks much better ;)

I'll check about the chocolate tang.. when you say it grazes on substrate does it tank a mouth full of substrate and throw it everywhere?? corals wont be happy about that...

I'll check your post to see if you posted pics about it ;)

josie
04-29-2010, 01:02 PM
so...
I really like the chocolate tang...
DH does not... he like the lieutenant...

2 other I would like your experiences-thoughts about:
yellow eye kole
goldrim

thanks!

Delphinus
04-29-2010, 03:54 PM
I have a lieutenant tang - nice fish. Of the 3 tangs I have (desjardini, lieutenant, and lavender), he is perhaps the most aggressive but only by a small margin. I can see though that they belong in tanks with 6' length minimum on account of their swimming needs..

I can't offer personal experiences with yellow eye koles or goldrim, other than that I think they are pretty.

josie
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
thanks Delphinus!

Is you want to check out my tank here's the link to an article about it.. it's TOTM on a Quebec forum (article in French)

http://www.reefaction.com/nosforums/index.php?page=14

:wink:

naesco
04-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks ;) yes we downsized.. lol.. I miss the choice of fish I had in the 265g.. but think the 150g looks much better ;)

I'll check about the chocolate tang.. when you say it grazes on substrate does it tank a mouth full of substrate and throw it everywhere?? corals wont be happy about that...

I'll check your post to see if you posted pics about it ;)

Josie look at this website. http://wetwebmedia.com/besttgsreefs.htm

wetwebmedia.com gives excellent information on all marine fish. Look at the bad tang area and tags generally.
If you are looking at the goldrim tang, ( no orange on it)A.nigercans, forget about it as the success rate is really poor.
It you are looking for a recommendation consider the powder brown tang (the one with orange on it) A. japonica.
Good Luck and thanks for asking.

josie
05-03-2010, 12:33 PM
We got a new tang!!!
a lieutenant (tennenti) :)
I'll post pics in my aquarium journal tread in a few days, wen the little new fish is less shy ;)

BC Mosaic
05-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Congrats on your new acquisition!
I've tried taking photos of the chocolate but he won't stand still!!

josie
05-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Congrats on your new acquisition!
I've tried taking photos of the chocolate but he won't stand still!!

thanks!
taking pics of fish are not easy! ;)
if you take one I'll be happy to see your chocolate!