PDA

View Full Version : Wood canopy/lites and stain.

Dorkel Marine 1
10-26-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm trying to figure out what stain or whatever to coat the inside of a wood canopy. SPAR arathane has been recomended. i'd like to get something white that is of course friendly to the inhabitants of my tank. Its also been suggested to me to look into marine varnish.

I have'nt done any research yet or looked around for the lighting. All I know is that I'm going with PC lighting. Probably a retro kit complete with endcaps, reflector and ballast. I know of J&L and I've heard King Ed is also worth checking out. Albrite lighting has also been recommended. So I do know of a few places. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I don't shop online.

I'm going with a 55watt bulb and an atinic bulb. Once I hear from some guys on the reef forum what a good ratio is for atinic to white lite I'll decide on what wattage to use. My goal of course is to put the lites on timers. Can you use the workhorse ballast to run PC lighting? The tank is 29 or 27 gal and I want to put about 100 watts over it. The inhabitants are soft corals and a few fish.

Of course I'll be watching the Buy,Sell and trade forum.

Thanks in advance George

Aquattro
10-26-2003, 03:55 PM
George, I used an oil based paint in my last canopy. Seemed to hold up fine for the time I had it. You can also get varnish in white. The inside of my stand now is done with that.
Actinic to white ratio is in the eye of the beholder. You're gonna have to figure that one out yourself. As a starting point, I think many people use 1:1.
And yes, you can use the WH7 to power PCs

chwkreefer
10-26-2003, 04:13 PM
[quote="Dorkel Marine 1"]I'm trying to figure out what stain or whatever to coat the inside of a wood canopy. SPAR arathane has been recomended. i'd like to get something white that is of course friendly to the inhabitants of my tank. Its also been suggested to me to look into marine varnish.

I have always had good success with white polyurethane. I have used it on a few hood interiors, it's quite reflective, water resilient and doesn't flake or break down.

Bill

Dorkel Marine 1
10-27-2003, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys for the input.

George.

kris
10-27-2003, 05:20 AM
i sugest looking into a marine base paint.. that is what i will be doing.

Chad
10-27-2003, 06:10 AM
I am currently building my own canopy.. I used a stain and then used an Indoor/Outdoor Urathane.. So far so good

:biggrin: