PDA

View Full Version : interesting creature id?

zeddy
04-24-2010, 03:22 PM
last night i was looking in my tank when the lights whent off and found the coolest looking thing. i couldnt get a pic because it was dark and the flash kept giving a reflection. so it was alot like a seahare or a slug/nudi looking thing, but it is a tan color body the neat part is the row of bright blue dimond shaped spots down its back. it was in a hole in my rock and worked his way inside it and i havent been able to see it again if anyone has an idea what this is would be great because i would like to see it in a photo

Wingin It
04-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Blue spot sea hare?

TheKid
04-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Check out blue shield

Zoaelite
04-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Probably some species of polyplacophora, limpet or Stomatella Snail at night time my frag tank is COVERED in Stomatella's and every morning there is not a spec of algae left so they make very efficient algae cleaners.

zeddy
04-24-2010, 05:30 PM
i looked all those up and none looks like it ty for the info hpefully i can find it. im sure its not a pest, im just intrested

Delphinus
04-24-2010, 05:48 PM
How big? I agree with Levi, sounds a little like a limpet. Could also be a kind of cowry perhaps.

zeddy
04-24-2010, 05:56 PM
it looked to be about 1.5inch in length and .5 inch through it does not have a shell

Albertan22
04-24-2010, 06:35 PM
I have something that sounds just like it in my tank, except it has 3 blue circles rather than diamonds on its back. It retreats into a crevice or hole pretty quickly once you shine a light on it. I've never been able to get a photo or ID on it, but I don't think it's ever hurt anything either.

zeddy
04-24-2010, 06:58 PM
I have something that sounds just like it in my tank, except it has 3 blue circles rather than diamonds on its back. It retreats into a crevice or hole pretty quickly once you shine a light on it. I've never been able to get a photo or ID on it, but I don't think it's ever hurt anything either.

sounds very similer the dimonds ar not destinct but they are not round

Bloodasp
04-24-2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/Hitchsnails.html any of these look like it?

Delphinus
04-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Sounds really interesting, maybe if you see it again try the photo using a flashlight instead of flash (dunno if that will work, but might work better than the flash reflecting off the glass). Or get the camera RIGHT up to the glass so that the flash reflection doesn't bounce into the lens...

zeddy
04-25-2010, 12:10 AM
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/Hitchsnails.html any of these look like it?

thankyou fotr the input it looks like the cryptoplax larveaformus

Zoaelite
04-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Mollusca
Class: Polyplacophora
Order: Neoloricata
Family: Cryptoplacidae
Species: Cryptoplax sp.

Bingo :biggrin:, pretty interesting species lots of algae grazing to take place so leave him in there.

Albertan22
04-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Mine looks like cryptoplax larveaformus as well, though he's not nearly as long as the ones in the photos. Cool :smile: