PDA

View Full Version : Hello Im new, this is my tank 1 month

Bodhi
10-26-2003, 07:24 AM
Well my tank has been up for a month now and i love it. The only problem I have found with this hobby is I am allready starting to plan another tank lol. I use RO/DI water and my tank cycled in about 8 days

15gal
powersweep 212
powerhead 402
17 lbs live rock
40 lbs araganite live sand (carib sea oolite)
50 watt heater
96 watt powerquad w/ 50/50 bulb

1 blue green chromis (died today in a powerhead accident, I feel terrible)
1 blue leg hermit
1 red scarlet hermit
5 zebra/left handed hermits
5 cerith snails
2 astreas
1 bumble bee
1 nassarius
1 cowrie

well I cant figure out how to post pics so use your imagination I think it looks pretty cool though :cool: [/img]

Aquattro
10-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Bodhi, welcome to Canreef!!

Bob I
10-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Well my tank has been up for a month now and i love it. The only problem I have found with this hobby is I am allready starting to plan another tank lol. I use RO/DI water and my tank cycled in about 8 days

15gal
powersweep 212
powerhead 402
17 lbs live rock
40 lbs araganite live sand (carib sea oolite)
50 watt heater
96 watt powerquad w/ 50/50 bulb

1 blue green chromis (died today in a powerhead accident, I feel terrible)
1 blue leg hermit
1 red scarlet hermit
5 zebra/left handed hermits
5 cerith snails
2 astreas
1 bumble bee
1 nassarius
1 cowrie

well I cant figure out how to post pics so use your imagination I think it looks pretty cool though :cool: [/img]

A couple of questions please.
#1 - Is it a standard 15 gallon tank ie. 24"x12"x12"?
#2 - Who sells that powerquad, and do you have more info on it?

It sounds like you have plenty of circulation, and light for most anything to do well.
As far as posting pictures. All you need to do is upload the pics to your server (ISP), the use the IMG tags on the board to post them.

My own nano is a atandard 15. I use a Coralife Aqualight with a 65W 50/50 bulb. (I hate that bulb BTW) There is a CPR 12" refugium on the back. It houses the sandbed and Caulerpa. I use it mainly for my zoanthid collection, and one large Coral BANDIT shrimp. I will post some pictures of this setup a little later.
:smilecol:

Bodhi
10-26-2003, 08:22 PM
Thanks brad :biggrin:
Bob my tank is actualy a 15 gal tall 20"x18"x10"
The light is great only problem is it only has one on/off switch so you cant do the dawn dusk thing w/actinics but other than that I love it. I dont know how to upload picsto my ISP but I did post pics on nano-reef here is the link
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19723

and oh yeah
S/G 1.024
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrite >5
temp 78-80f
Ph 8.4
alk 12
need to get more kits on pay day (wednsday)
what should I get? calcium, and....?

Bodhi
10-26-2003, 08:23 PM
oops king ed pet centre and aquariums has the powerquad and its $149.00

deacon hemp
10-26-2003, 08:45 PM
whats up bohdi,i seen your tank on nano-reef it looks nice,where did you buy your live rock from? king ed?and did you have a cycle?.....anyway when you start to buy corals im down fer a trade? Deacon

Bodhi
10-26-2003, 08:54 PM
Thanks decon and yes I bought most of my live rock @ king ed except for two small pieces I got from big als, including the on with the featherdusters it was like 8 bux. When I get some corals I would like to trade for sure. Rite now Im looking for anyone with small frags for sale as it is a small tank and Im on dissability so I dont have much to spend. Last month I spent my whole check on this hobby and had to go to the food bank lol. wont have to do that again now that I have my initial set up.

Aquattro
10-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Last month I spent my whole check on this hobby and had to go to the food bank lol.

I'm gonna print this for my wife next time she thinks I spent too much!! LOL :razz:

Bodhi
10-27-2003, 01:44 AM
Im starting to have a bit of a cynobacteria outbreak and Im looking for any input/help. I took the rock peices out and in my salt mix/water change tank I scrubed it off with a tooth brush, I tried to suck as much off of the sand as possible, and Im reducing the lights to 9hrs a day. Im not sure what my phosphates are cause I cant afford the test kit untill wednsday.All food is being consumed and amm,trite,trate,s/g,temp all good? Any ideas?

Bob I
10-27-2003, 02:15 AM
I am sure there are hundreds of threads on Cyanobacter. Over the years I have seen many posts from people who claim to know the reason. Yet most new tanks still get it. I myself have not seen it for over a year, but if I were to make major changes I am sure it would return. In the past when it showed up I used Chemiclean by Boyd enterprises. It gets rid of it in 24 to 48 hours with no deleterious effects. That is all I can offer. I am sure there will be disagreements, but all I can say it works. :rolleyes:

deacon hemp
10-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Bohdi i have some frags for sale right now and as for your cyno problem try to feed your chromis as little as possible right now! i have a wicked bright GSP colony with long polyps thats nice....respond if your interested?

Bodhi
10-27-2003, 08:41 PM
deacon you have a pm, yup Im hardly feeding my fish at all rite now and everything I feed him he eats so thats good I guess, less phosphates I belive. It seems to be gettin a bit better allready, after scrubing rocks and sucking it off the sand. Im not to worried as I understand that this is to be expected, but I still want to deal with it before it gets out af hand.

Buccaneer
10-27-2003, 11:49 PM
In my opinion cyano is mainly due to poor circulation ... what happens as a result is detritus/food buildups that in turn leach phosphates which then feed the cyano bloom ... so take a close look at circulation and see if there is enough water movement so as to maybe prevent it from coming back later on. HTH

Cheers

JoJo
10-28-2003, 12:24 AM
Bob

I think J&L also sells the powerquads for the same price

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=pc-al2096

Bodhi
10-28-2003, 01:00 AM
thanks rasta, yeah my powersweep is 125gal/hr and the powerhead is 270gal/hr so I have a total of 395gal/hr and this is in a 15gal tank so I think Im ok there. Its probably the food thing wait and see I guess

Bodhi
10-28-2003, 01:16 AM
would a 25% water change help?

Bob I
10-28-2003, 01:24 AM
In my opinion cyano is mainly due to poor circulation ... what happens as a result is detritus/food buildups that in turn leach phosphates which then feed the cyano bloom ... so take a close look at circulation and see if there is enough water movement so as to maybe prevent it from coming back later on. HTH

Cheers

Steve, I am sure you would not say Evan has poor circulation, but as I am sure you noticed he has plenty of cyano. Also some time ago the experts on AquariaCentral claimed exactly opposite to what you said. They blamed too much circulation. As I said, I am sure there are plenty of opinions on causes, but in reality I think we are all guessing. I don't claim to have any answers except for the Chemiclean. It works without any bad effects ESPECIALLY in a small tank.. I would never recommend it for a large tank, as it would not be cost effective. :2gunfire: :lilangel:

Jack
10-28-2003, 01:28 AM
I don't understand the guns shooting the little angel...?

Buccaneer
10-28-2003, 01:49 AM
When I first setup my 300G I had poor circulation and ended up with a cyano bloom that was real nasty ( covered everything ) ... my theory behind what happened was too small a skimmer ( at that time ) and not enough circulation to keep the currents moving detritus/nutrients etc out of the tank and into the sump so that the skimmer could remove any excess stuff ... this time around I have a Beckett skimmer that would suck the remaining hair right off your head Bob :razz: and about 8200 gph circulation inside the tank ... only algae problem I had was a little bit of diatoms when it first started up and thats it ( " knock on wood " ... it has been back up again since Feb/03 ) ... now Bodhi has stated that circulation is not a problem so nutrient export is the next culprit in line IMO ( besides Evan may have used the sand from his old reef and stirring up all the nutrients that were in it could easily explain his mini-cyano bloom ) and after that it would be lighting spectrum ( but by the sounds of it the lights are new ... 1 month old )

Fixing the problem of nuissance algae is often a combination of factors I think that have to be eliminated one at a time ... my suggestion as far as circulation was simply from personal experience it was a contributing factor at that time.

Cheers

Bodhi
10-28-2003, 01:53 AM
What about the water change? :confused:

Buccaneer
10-28-2003, 01:57 AM

Absolutely ! ... that alone will help with the nutrient export ... do another in a week or so as well

Cheers

Bob I
10-28-2003, 02:31 AM
As Steve well knows, I run skimmerless tanks, and with the combination of old water, I should be ripe for a bloom of Cyano if all the theories about nutrients are true.

That is why I offer no cure. I have not seen Cyano for over a year. I don't think it is blind luck. There is a common factor, but I have no idea what it is, but I am happy nonetheless. :mrgreen:

I will add something, which like all other cures does not have one scrap of evidence that says it is in any way the answer. Here then is a four part statement. "I have not had cyano in over a year; I do not run a skimmer; I do not do water changes; and last of all, I nave been using Chemi-Pure for over a year".

As I said, I am not offering this as a cure. It could all be coincidential. I just don't know. :confused:

Bob I
10-28-2003, 02:32 AM
I don't understand the guns shooting the little angel...?

I think Steve has an idea. It all goes back to out conversation at last Saturday's reefer meeting. :biggrin:

Bob I
10-28-2003, 02:34 AM

I won't discourage you from that, but I will bet you a dollar to donuts it will make no difference. :eek:

Dorkel Marine 1
11-27-2003, 03:59 AM
How many off you guys use Power sweeps and what do you think of them.

George :question: