PDA

View Full Version : Who has/had a Majestic Angel in a reef?

Myka
04-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Just looking for thoughts on Majestic Angels in a reef. Please post some of your experiences.

don.ald
04-24-2010, 01:47 AM
i dont have one but i think they eat corals?

Myka
04-24-2010, 02:00 AM
Emperor Angels, Blue-faced Angels, and Majestic Angels are all considered reef-safe in SPS tanks, and somewhat reef-safe in mixed reefs with Majestic Angels being the "safest" choice of the big Angels. If they do go after corals they will tend to just go for one particular kind, or often clams. My tank is mixed, SPS, LPS, gorgonians, Zoas, Ricordea, clams, anemones, etc.

I'm looking for some first-hand experiences. What corals have people found they had a taste for? Clams? How difficult have people found them to get eating prepared foods? I have heard and read of them going after Elegance corals, brain corals, clams, and Acans more than anything else.

I have been seriously looking at adding a Majestic to my tank for the last few months, and I'm ok with having to remove some corals if it takes a liking to them, even my clams, but I also don't want to make a rash decision.

Tom R
04-24-2010, 02:02 AM
I have had a Majestic Angel in each of my Reef tanks for years. I have never had a problem with them and my SPS. These are very beautiful fish. Mine are 5 to 7 inches. They do pick around the tank and probably eat the odd zoo. My understanding is that they will destroy the more meaty corals. They are very inquisitive and will certainly check out anything new you put into you tank. However once they have checked it out they pretty much leave it alone.

I love my Majestic.

Tom R

Myka
04-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Thanks Tom R! I am in the (slow) process of setting up a small tank to house my Zoas/Palys, and some of my brain corals that want more nutrients than are in my reef. I just need some lights for it, and silicone the overflow together, so I wouldn't have an issue moving corals to that tank if the Majestic takes a liking. The trouble is that my tank is probably 30% LPS. I have definitely heard and read a lot of people having success even with LPS dominated reefs, so I have hope, but knowing my luck I would buy the Majestic that ate every LPS in sight.

Dez
04-24-2010, 02:19 AM
I've had my majestic for a few months and I have elegance, candy, hammer, open brain, SPs, 4 clams and frogspawn. I consider myself fortunate as he eats well (flake, pellet and frozen) and is very peaceful and doesn't eat any coral. I even have a blue sponge colony that I've had for a while. My friend just bought a majestic for his softy tank today. We'll see what kind of luck he has.

nlreefguy
04-24-2010, 03:34 AM
I had no problems with the majestic I used to have in a mixed reef - mostly softies and LPs with some clams and the odd SPS. Maybe I was just lucky but he was perfectly well-behaved. If I remember correctly he might have picked at anthelia, but certainly not enough to prevent it from becoming a major nuisance!

staceyd72
04-24-2010, 03:37 AM
Hi,

I've had mine for almost a year now, without a doubt the family favourite. He was a little shy at first but now will take food from my hand.

He had an appetite for most of my soft coral with the exception for Indo acans and Blastos. But open brains, scollys, Aussie acans, and Rics had to be removed. Great with SPS, but he bumps them on occasion.
Not the boss in the tank, but second in line for sure.
Oh, he grunts a lot, I've heard that this is common as they mature.

HTH

Myka
04-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks for your help! This is looking promising. =]

burrows14
04-25-2010, 06:50 PM
one of the local stores in surrey is having to re-do their DT because after 5 years their majestic angel decided to eat almost everything in their mixed reef lol I am planning to add a emporer angel to my new build that will be
SPS dominated. Its worth the risk lol

Fishgirl
04-26-2010, 04:41 AM
I have a Majestic and he is about 3in 3.5in I got him from someone that had him in a reef tank and he said he never touched anything right now he is in with my mushrooms, zoa's and doesn't touch anything eats everything from flake, pellets, frozen, and nori. Great fish very beautiful. Good luck if you get one.