PDA

View Full Version : frag glue

Dorkel Marine 1
10-26-2003, 06:17 AM
Hi everyone. What do you guys use for glueing frags and where do you get it.

George

Aquattro
10-26-2003, 07:29 AM
What kind of frags? SPS, softies? SPS use super glue gel or the 2-part epoxy. Softies depend a lot on what type.

Dorkel Marine 1
10-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Hi Brad. They're softies. I just need to glue the rock that the frags on, to a larger rock. Thanks for the quick response.

George

TANGOMAN
10-26-2003, 03:02 PM
I'll "piggy-back" this question. I acquired a few finger leathers and they need a base. Glue ? Anyone ever drill a small hole for a plastic peg ?

Aquattro
10-26-2003, 03:15 PM
George, I think the epoxy is the best choice for that.

zulu_principle
10-26-2003, 11:34 PM
IMHO

Epoxy isnt the best for softies.

Use elastic or better yet, needle and cotton thread.

Wendell

Dorkel Marine 1
10-27-2003, 01:05 AM
ok thanks for the input. I'll try the epoxy since the frags are already on a piece of rock.

however my trumpet coral has a hard tissue for lack of a better word, and the soft part growing from it. I had wedged it into a hole in the rockwork and it held for quite a while. Until the other morning when i found it on the bottom. Could I use the epoxy on that also. I hadn't mentioned this before. But then this coral is considered a soft coral right. Ok enough said.

Thanks again.

Michel
10-27-2003, 06:45 PM
Hi,
Personnally I used Super Glue in gel form for softies also and when they are ready to move they develop a toxin and move on the rock .... very interesting to see !

ABreefkpr
11-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Has anyone tried Loctite 454 for glueing frags?

chwkreefer
11-01-2003, 06:15 PM
I'll second Wendell comments. Definitely needle and thread (or monofiliment) works best. Because softies tend to shrink and expand they are prone to coming detached.

IMHO

Epoxy isnt the best for softies.

Use elastic or better yet, needle and cotton thread.

Wendell

zulu_principle
11-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Has anyone tried Loctite 454 for glueing frags?

The loctite is all I use for hard corals.

Wendell

Bob I
11-02-2003, 05:39 PM
I tried "Krazy Glue" gel once. It did not work worth a hoot. Could someone post the make of glue they find works. :question:

chwkreefer
11-02-2003, 06:29 PM
I tried "Krazy Glue" gel once. It did not work worth a hoot. Could someone post the make of glue they find works. :question:

I had the same experience with the Krazy Glue. I started fragging corals in 1992 and predominately used the mastercraft super glue from Canadian Tire. I probably tried 2 or 3 others at the time but pretty much liked the Mastercraft best.

I have tried a few other brands and have found that just about any that say thick gel seem to work. Loctite has been mentioned as well and does work well. Another you can try is Lepages Superglue.

Bill

Dorkel Marine 1
11-04-2003, 05:40 AM
Hi everyone. ok i tried some of this epoxy. I picked it up from J&L. Its a tube of green with a white center. You ply it in your hands it turns white you put it on your frag rock you hold it on your bigger live rock for about 5 minites and then later it JUST LIFTS OFF :evil: . I'm probably doing something wrong. Has anyone used this stuff. If so your input appreciated. The product is called Holdfast by MarineLand.

Thanks in advance

George

Jack
11-04-2003, 05:47 AM
It's not mean't to be sticky so you have to really work the epoxy into the crevices untill it has time to solidify. Once it's in place good and tight it should work okay. Takes a bit of getting use to with that stuff. :lol:

LostMind
11-04-2003, 07:09 AM
Yup, it doesnt stick at all. Gotta get it all nice and gummy and then wedge it into the cracks or else it'll harden and fall off :)

Found that out the hard way :))

Lofus
11-25-2003, 03:22 AM
So with a needle and thread you just sew the softie to the rock?

I picked up a coupld of leathers from Kari and they just don't want to stay into the crevase where they have been jammed.

chwkreefer
11-25-2003, 04:48 AM
So with a needle and thread you just sew the softie to the rock?

I picked up a coupld of leathers from Kari and they just don't want to stay into the crevase where they have been jammed.

Basically you run your needle and thread/mono through the coral and pull enough line through so you can tie around a rock. Most leathers hold quite well that way. Colt coral's sometimes tear through as they are quite soft and their composition seems to have a higher water content.

Usually, I just run the needle and thread through once, but you can certainly go through twice, especially if the coral frag is big enough. After a couple of weeks if the coral frag is in good condition and your system is too, the frag should be attached.

Bob I
11-25-2003, 04:33 PM
An alternative (especially for the Colts) is a small Tupperware type of container (the ones I use are 2 1/4 inches across and high) You stick the frag in, and put some rubble around it. Put it in a lower flow area, and in a week or two (depending on the species) the frag will attach to the rubble. I have done this with the hopeless Colt, Toadstools, and the leather from Kari with complete success. :biggrin:

sumpfinfishe
11-25-2003, 05:15 PM
I have fragged a lot of sinularia over the last few years and I found the best way to do this is how Bob describes, place branch cuttings in a tupperware with a small rubble of rocks. This method may take an extra week or so but it's worth it in my opinion because the corals are attaching naturally, also sinularia can mucus quite a bit with the needle and thread method. This is however for sinularia species, colts, leathers, and other softies have different frag methods too, needle and thread works great for the majority of softies as well as the rubble method. :mrgreen:

Lofus
11-26-2003, 04:32 AM
Thanks guys