PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye bengaii

Chase31
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
well i had my bengaii (lukus) for about a month maybe more, i never ever saw him ea., always hung out near the bottom of the tank and he was getting less shy still not eating.
Then one day i came home and he was stuck a little in the overflow sideways, he was still alive so i put him in the freezer to put him out of his pain.
He wasn't breathing hard or anything.
Was i wrong to assume he was dying? and if he was why? was it cuz he wasnt eating or what??

josie
04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Putting a fish them in the freezer to slowly freeze (hypothermia method) does not quietly put your fish to sleep. In cold blooded animals, it is believed that the formation of ice crystals in the tissue may create discomfort or severe pain. The hypothermia method is never ok. Rapid freezing may be applied only if the fish is deeply anesthetized prior. :sad:

what food did you give him? mine only eats mysis...

Chase31
04-23-2010, 06:54 PM
whats a better method to put him down?... i gave him mysis also but he wouldn't eat it, it would just float by him

saltwaterseahorses
04-23-2010, 06:56 PM
you should have tried other food then! lol its okay we all make mistakes

josie
04-23-2010, 07:10 PM
euthanizing a fish (found on the net):

1-Stunning fish with a sharp blow to the head, followed by decapitation is a rapid, effective, humane way to euthanase a fish, as long as it is carried out competently.

2-Clove oil is used to anaesthetize fish and is fatal to fish at doses greater than ¼ ml per litre of water. Clove oil is used in beer brewing and can be purchased through home-brewing outlets. It is also an aromatherapy oil, so try specialty outlets where oils are sold. Keep in mind that clove oil is classified as hazardous and can be irritating to the skin and eyes, and can be harmful if swallowed.
Since fish are cold-blooded, the brain can continue to function for a long time even after the heart and lungs have ceased functioning. Therefore it is possible for fish to recover from deep anaesthesia even if they are apparently dead because they are not breathing and have no heart beat. It can be very difficult to determine if a fish is dead, therefore, once the fish is deeply anaesthetized by leaving it in the solution for a couple of hours, it is recommended to freeze the fish, decapitate it or administer a sharp blow to the head to ensure it does not recover from anaesthesia.

Chase31
04-23-2010, 07:13 PM
it might be hard to knock it out when its only an inch... but anyways i tryed soaked pellets, soaked frozen and just plain pellets and mysis

kevNnic
04-23-2010, 07:32 PM
not sure what the best way would be, but freezing wouldn't be the easiest way.

Parker
04-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Mine only eat Mysis as well, they really eat it. Pigs!

Nebthet
04-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Next time try the frozen cyclopeeze or the cyclopeeze flakes. Mine will only eat either of those two and nothing else.