PDA

View Full Version : My new crosshatch trigger

Ryanst
04-23-2010, 01:12 AM
I went around to a few fish stores in edmonton asking about crosshatch triggers and eveyone said that they dont get them in very often. I decided to stop by big als on the way home because my girlfriend like going there. lol I was looking at the fish there and i saw a sticker that said crosshatch trigger 379.99 so i looked in the tank and saw that it was still in there and it actually looked healthy. When the girl was bagging it she said that it was the first one that she had seen in the 2 years she worked there. I wasnt expecting to find one today but i guess i was lucky. sorry for the crappy picture my quarantine tank doesnt have very nice glass.

sitandwatch
04-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Nice find, its on my new list.

Ryanst
04-23-2010, 01:45 AM
I still want to get a male but they are a lot more money and probably harder to find. Hopefully I get lucky again. lol

Ryanst
04-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I was woundering if someone could give me there opinion about what i should do. My crosshatch is in my Quarantine tank which is 23 long 23 wide and 12 high. I have 4 more fish coming in on saturday and i dont know if i should put them in with the crosshatch. The crosshatch doesnt have any visible parasites on it but it would be hard to catch if i put it in my display and it had something I also wouldnt want it to infect the rest of my fish. I could freshwater dip it for 10 min before putting it in my display that might help to reduce that chance of a parasite getting in my tank.

Madreefer
04-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Nice lookin fish. Looks huge compared to your koralia. That must be a nano size.

Delphinus
04-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Great fish! Nice find, great price too for a male with the male coloration already.

How big is he? Looks smallish still, but very nice to get the male coloration. I have a juvenile with still juvenile colours, he or she is about 3.5". LOVE this fish, huge personality.

I don't know what to suggest about your situation. If it were me, I'd be tempted put him in the main display and hope for the best. That QT tank sounds pretty small anyhow.

How big is the main display?

wickedfrags
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Hey Tony. What makes you think it is a male? I was under the impression both males and females looked pretty much the same until they grow to about 5-6 inches, at least that is what I was told by someone who used to dive for them.

Great fish! Nice find, great price too for a male with the male coloration already.

How big is he? Looks smallish still, but very nice to get the male coloration. I have a juvenile with still juvenile colours, he or she is about 3.5". LOVE this fish, huge personality.

I don't know what to suggest about your situation. If it were me, I'd be tempted put him in the main display and hope for the best. That QT tank sounds pretty small anyhow.

How big is the main display?

Delphinus
04-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Oh - sorry - I thought because the body was yellow that this was the adult colours already and I also thought that the males were the really yellow ones.

Maybe it's not a male (or maybe it's not adult colours yet) - by no means am I an authority, only know from what I've seen in pictures. Looking at the attached photo again I see the caudal fin (tail) isn't red, and I thought males had red tails, so ... hmmm. Ok, I have no idea man. Sorry... :redface:

Aquavalley.ca shows this picture for a male (yellow body, yellow fins, red tail):
http://www.aquavalley.ca/eshop/images/corsshatch%20male.jpg

.. and this picture for a female (greenish/cyanish/blue-ish body, red fins, yellow tail):
http://www.aquavalley.ca/eshop/images/Crossahtch%20female.jpg

FWIW, mine looks totally different, more of a blue/green overall, transparent fins, yellow tail. Does have the crosshatch patterning though, and the blue lines on the cheeks..

Ryanst
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I am pretty sure its a female, males go for over $800. Its only like 3 or 4 inches long thats a nano koralia. My display is a 220 gallon tank. I still dont know if i should just put it in my display instead really overcrowding my quarantine tank.

Delphinus
04-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Likely still juvenile colours then at that size. Interesting that some are yellow and some aren't then.

If that's the case then you might luck out and find that it's a male. It's my understanding that until they have the adult colours there's no way to know.

$800 for a male is what you would pay for a "for sure" male at the larger size. Although FWIW, I've seen pairs go for that price as well, depends on the supplier I guess.

I misunderstood yours to have the adult colours because he looks so yellow. Maybe the yellow is just more a colour variant then because some seem yellow and some not so (even the male in the picture I showed abovefrom aquavalley isn't really all that yellow).

Either way, nice fish. If you were still worried about the QT aspect maybe call off the 4 fish coming in on Saturday, or maybe ask your supplier to hang onto them for the time being..

Good luck whatever you decide.

I think the females look just as nice to be honest. I'd be happy either way.

Delphinus
04-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Oh and .. if it were me I'd just put him in the 220g. That QT tank sounds pretty small. Also the shallowness could be a concern too if the tank is open top, you'd hate to lose him because he jumped out.

Ryanst
04-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah my quarantine tank is pretty small for it I have eggcrate over the top so it cant jump out. I think i might put it in the display later today its been in copper for 24 hours i am sure that will help a bit. Do you think i should freshwater dip it?

Delphinus
04-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Personally I think that unless I saw some reason to do it, I wouldn't do it.. I don't know. Tough call. Everyone's going to have their own comfort level on that I guess.

Not that it sounds like you need further convincing (but since I like talking about fish :lol:) .. FWIW, unless the eggcrate is weighted down, they can still sometimes get out. I've had fish jump and make it out despite eggcrate being on the tank at the time. I lost a 4" tang out of a QT tank in the fall (and there was an eggcrate cover at the time which got bumped right off the tank). Also had a wrasse jump out of my display tank but I have no idea whether he lifted the eggcrate and it fell back in place, or whether he shot through the square holes and just happened to fit just right.

Ryanst
04-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Ok thanks for all your help I think I will just put it in my display. Thats good to know about the eggcrate i didnt even think of weighing it down.

Ryanst
05-02-2010, 09:38 PM
a new pic of my trigger and a couple pictures of my tank.