PDA

View Full Version : question about clams...

marvinsae
04-22-2010, 10:21 PM
i've been thinking about purchasing a clam. i hear squamosas are the easiest to keep and should be placed on the sand bed, however they lack the colour that i'm looking for. been doing a bit of reading and i've read that i should probably keep a larger size clam (above 3") since they are easier to care for. any other clam suggestions? what should i feed them? where to place them? as of now i have a 65 gallon 34 wide 24 tall with a 250w mh pendant. should this be enough lighting? im thinkin of purchasing a 2 bulb fixture for T5 also in the near future. so should it be ok for now?

whatcaneyedo
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM
As far as ease of care goes I dont believe that one type is easier than another. Some, like crocea, are simply more light demanding. Size does matter in my opinion as you've discovered through reading; smaller and larger clams seem to be touchier with mid size being the better choice. If your tank is stable and mature and you dont have any fish or inverts that will try to eat one you should be alright.

BTW I have six currently. Two crocea, two maxima, a squamosa and a derasa. I've had three die in the past. A little maxima within its first year, a squamosa after about two years and just recently my big 5 year old maxima. The two crocea I have have never given me any problems in the 4-5 years I've had them which is why I say that I dont feel one type is easier than another.

marvinsae
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
how does feeding go? do u have to target feed them and wut do they eat? or will they be fine filtering the water. what fish or invertabrates should i stay away from? i have... 2 yellow tail damsels, 2 occelaris clowns, 1 powder blue, 8 astrea , 1 diamond watchman goby, and 1 brittel star

George
04-23-2010, 12:01 AM
how does feeding go? do u have to target feed them and wut do they eat? or will they be fine filtering the water. what fish or invertabrates should i stay away from? i have... 2 yellow tail damsels, 2 occelaris clowns, 1 powder blue, 8 astrea , 1 diamond watchman goby, and 1 brittel star

Clams that are available for sales already pass the stage that requires direct feeding. They mostly require a lot of light. Your lighting should be good.
Your fish stock is ok with clams. Avoid adding angel fish (large or dwarf). They will nibble on clams (sooner or later).

marvinsae
04-23-2010, 01:05 AM
thanks for all the input guys, im gonna pick one up tomorrow! as for acclimation it's only temp right?

whatcaneyedo
04-23-2010, 03:37 AM
Even though clams can be fresh water dipped and can stand prolonged periods out of water its best to play it safe and not stress them unnecessarily. Take your time acclimating. Set up a drip system if you can.