PDA

View Full Version : Uneven water level.

calgaryreefer
04-21-2010, 06:12 PM
I been setting up tanks for years, but its usually smaller tanks and on wooden stands, but over the weekend I got a 180gal on a metal stand, this tank is not a custom build, I think its a hagen made, so its got the black trims on bottom and top. After setting it up, I notice the water is uneven on the front and side, what's the best way to level this sucker out, i got a piece of styrofoam on the bottom, but don't know if it helps. or can i just leave it? its a freshwater tank.

Any advice or opinion would be appreciated.
thanks.

Delphinus
04-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Figure out how much it's out and then shim the stand by that much on the low side. Shim the stand, not the tank, and you'll be set.

calgaryreefer
04-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah thats what i was going to try and do, but here is another odd thing, when the tank is sitting on the styroform, it looks like the back bottom trim isn't sitting on the foam completely like the front, is that going to be a concern?

Delphinus
04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
That I don't know. How big is the gap? My guess is if it's just a tiny little bit hanging over then it's probably fine .. but if it were me I'd replace the foam with something a bit bigger, easier to do it now before it's stocked sort of thing..

George
04-21-2010, 06:37 PM
How do you check the water is level or not? Do you eyeball the water level to the trim or use a leveler to check against the stand?

calgaryreefer
04-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I done both, water level looks uneven with respect to to black trims and used a leveler on top of the tank and its off as well.