PDA

View Full Version : live sand

martym
10-25-2003, 01:29 PM
I want to add LS to an existing tank. How do I go about it without creating a white cloud? I want to add Agro-alive Fiji Live Pink from J&L. Has anyone else used it? And is it any good? Thanks for your input :smile:

sumpfinfishe
10-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Marty,

I haven't used live sand before, as I have always had an abundance of live rock-which will create live sand.

I have added new sand to an existing system before. I would use a cup or small tupperware to move the sand in. After collecting a cup 3/4 full, slowly lower the cup into the tank with the top facing upwards, once the cup has topped-off with tank water you can then lower your cup to the bottom of the tank. You can now slowly pour or scoop out the sand at the bottom, thus eliminating a larger sand cloud. You will get some sand cloud, but it should be much less rather than dust dumping in sand from the top of the surface!

Goodluck :biggrin:
cheers, Rich

Jack
10-25-2003, 10:34 PM
Marty,

That sand only contains bacteria, no critters. If you're looking for really live sand ask one of your reef buddies thats has an established tank. His or her sand should have lots of critters that will multiply in your sand.. making your sand "live".

Michel
10-26-2003, 08:20 AM
I'm changing from CC to Sugar size Aragonite now and to avoid the sand storm I use a PVC pipe long enough to reach the bottom of the tank and pour slowly in the pipe.. I wetted the sand prior with distilled water.
The tank was clear in 24hrs

Just2Bad
10-27-2003, 07:16 PM
I use a PVC pipe long enough to reach the bottom of the tank and pour slowly in the pipe.. I wetted the sand prior with distilled water.The tank was clear in 24hrs

:lol: Great trick, I saw that somewhere before :wink:

Michel
10-27-2003, 09:09 PM
A tout seigneur tout honneur !
This advice was given to me by Just2Bad
Thanks

Son Of Skyline
10-27-2003, 09:59 PM
Another trick is to use a fish bag. Put your sand in it, put some tank water in the bag so that the sand is submerged in the bag, and cut a corner off the bottom of the bag. The sand will flow out of the bag and down.

I think it might work with just dry sand in the bag too, but the one time I tried it didn't seem to work that well.