PDA

View Full Version : tank questions

mycat99
04-21-2010, 04:05 AM
since my salt water tank was totaly destroyed bye kids who broke in my wife doesnt want me to spend the money on reseting it up .can you use a drilled tank for fresh water? what do you put into sump ?my sump has only 1 devider in it .i am use to running fresh water with ehiem filter, thanks

cordeiro
04-21-2010, 04:57 AM
i would say why not.. if you use the sump as one big ass filter like, plants and should use the same fiters thats made for fresh water, it should work and sorry to here about the b,n,e... that happened to a guy i know when he was in vages, not fun at all...

cordeiro
04-21-2010, 04:59 AM
but im not the best to tell you so, dont know much about fresh water, besides drinking it.... lol..

Bloodasp
04-21-2010, 05:04 AM
I guess instead of putting skimmers and such just put in the same filter media that you use in those canister filters (foam, activated carbon etc.) Maybe add some bioballs there too.

turkleton
04-21-2010, 05:06 AM
As sump will work great for a freshwater tank, a friend of mine has one set up on her tanganyikan cichlid tank. You just set it up like a huge canister filter. The only downside is that the water may not be as crystal clear as if you were using a canister filter. However if you keep the algae growth down it shouldn't be a problem.

zum14
04-21-2010, 05:11 AM
check out www.monsterfishkeepers.com (http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com) they have tonnes of guys running sumps on there. Basically it is like everyone is saying, it turns it to one large filter. Ive seen lots of guys run basically sink "scubbies" as there cheap and kind of a bio ball. Guys usually do the same as salt, run your heater, carbon, any phosphate removers. Cleans up the main tank.

mycat99
04-22-2010, 01:31 AM
thanks will have redesign my sump to hold bio balls .also would m/h light be to much for fresh water?i have 2 /250 walt m/h light was thinking about only useing one bulb in it

Wingin It
04-22-2010, 01:49 AM
carefull with those lights, too much and you'll get an algae bloom like crazy! Be mindful what you put in the tank in terms of plants, 'cause too much light will allow algae to take control, especially if you use slow/med growing plants.

lockrookie
04-22-2010, 02:32 AM
wouldnt your homw insurance help cover the cost for rebuild of you salt tank?

mycat99
04-22-2010, 02:40 AM
ya my insurance will cover me for damage but after i pay deductable i would only get about 1/2 the money i spent on tank back

lockrookie
04-22-2010, 02:50 AM
thats a bummer but half is better than nothing i guess. i hope it works out for you.

zum14
04-22-2010, 05:14 AM
carefull with those lights, too much and you'll get an algae bloom like crazy! Be mindful what you put in the tank in terms of plants, 'cause too much light will allow algae to take control, especially if you use slow/med growing plants.

Sorry, not to start a debate here but I dont think theres an issue, salt vs fresh im finding it easier to grow algae in salt then in fresh. If you keep up on your water changes, keep filters clean, and if still a problem have some phosphate material i wouldnt see a problem. Id watch temps more then anything, maybe run them higher off the water then on the salt. Watch using insurance. Ive talked to my insurance people and Ive pretty much decided to just go for it cause they said if there was anything they would do it once and after that the premiums would skyrocket.

cordeiro
04-22-2010, 05:19 AM
50% of somthing is better then 100% of nothing... that really suck what did they do to it?

globaldesigns
04-22-2010, 05:44 AM
Wow!!! you must have a high deductable.

I am sure we all could help you out. I myself could probably help with resetup, and would be able to give you a couple frags or so.

cichlidguy
05-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Setting up a fresh water sump is fairly easy. Just be smart about your space. use a pre filter or sock as you would normally.Then use a sheet of plastic at the top with smaller holes drilled in it so the water will trickle through whatever you use as a bio media. preferably something porous like bio balls (which are expensive) or i have seen lots of guys use hair curlers or cut up sponges. Plants in a freshwater sump have some advantages but are definitely not necessary. I have been running freshwater sumps for years and have never used plants.
And also don't worry about your MH's for fresh, just mind your fish's preference as lots of fresh livestock prefer low to medium lighting