PDA

View Full Version : Sand bed questions

Milad
04-19-2010, 10:30 PM
If these are already answered somewhere feel free to send me link. Ive been searching and found some information but not alot.

My 180g build is coming along and one of the things I need to start looking at is sand. so some questions for all....

Do i need sand?
If not, whats downside of not using sand?
Should i be putting sand in a remote sump if i dont use it?
Can i just use a little sand? e.g 1"?

kien
04-20-2010, 05:25 AM
If these are already answered somewhere feel free to send me link. Ive been searching and found some information but not alot.

My 180g build is coming along and one of the things I need to start looking at is sand. so some questions for all....

Do i need sand?
If not, whats downside of not using sand?
Should i be putting sand in a remote sump if i dont use it?
Can i just use a little sand? e.g 1"?

In my opinion sand has become a very personal choice. I think it was once thought that a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) was the way to go for nutrient export, some people still use it while others have abandoned it.

Do you need sand? I don't think so. There are tonnes of tanks out there that are completely bare bottomed now.

I can't think of a downside of not using sand other than aesthetics? You may not like the look of a bare bottom. Also, some critters like the sand and possibly sleep in it (like certain wrasses).

Putting sand in a remote sump? Again, that's completely up to you.

You can just use a little sand or as much as you'd like actually. Sand does need to be cleaned periodically, hence the need for sand sifters and/or cleaners.

A lot of people have gone from having a sandy bottom for years to now having bare bottom tanks, while some of gone the other way. Some tanks have both sand and bare spots all throughout the tank where a powerhead has blasted away and cleared the sand down to the glass :biggrin: When glass is exposed it just ends up getting covered by encrusting algaes like coraline. Some people like that look too (some don't).

Again, I think it just boils down to personal preference.

Milad
04-20-2010, 05:38 AM
thanks for info kien. I think im going to throw some eggcrate so rocks dont break the glass and 1" of sand

kien
04-20-2010, 05:43 AM
That works, and I've seen a few people do that. You can also put down a sheet of acrylic under your heavy rocks/structures (that's what I do). I did the egg crate thing once and what ended up happening was the flow in that are kept clearing enough of the sand to expose the egg crate.. argh! It was annoying. I get that in my 150 reef as well ( the clearing of sand from powerheads) but the exposed acrylic isn't so bad because it just gets encrusted with coraline and blends in nicely.