PDA

View Full Version : help please

mycat99
04-19-2010, 09:16 PM
on friday night me and my wife when out of town for weekend .sometime between friday and sunday our aparment was broken into bye 2 13 year olds kids <police found them >the 2 girls decided it would be fun to use my tank as a bathroom needless to say tank is very gross.i have insurance but would like know if anythink in tank is useable .there was about 120 lbs of live rock and a few small leather coral in tank .can they be salvaged or just throw everthing out and start over?:cry:right now my insurance compay has a maid service here helping clean up mess

muck
04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Whats this world coming too... absolutely no respect for other peoples property in kids these days. :sad:

muck
04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
I'd setup a temp holding tank. Move all the surviving livestock out.
Empty the main tank completely and clean. Refill with fresh new saltwater.

Delphinus
04-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Wow. I have no idea what to say. Terrible. :( Hope you get things sorted out.

For what it's worth, it's not unheard of (it's just gross) that people use pee to kick start a biological cycle in a tank.

Assuming that anything put into the tank was biological in nature, things may be salvageable, but what's happened is you now have a massive ammonia spike to deal with. The trick here will be to limit this spike. As many, and as large of, water changes that you can do cannot hurt. Run carbon. Some Cycle (bottled bacteria, you can get from usually any LFS) in the water couldn't hurt either. Actually I think there's a similar product specific to saltwater but I forget the brand name offhand. I'll see if I can find it and if I do I'll post it back here.

Good luck.

kien
04-19-2010, 09:55 PM
two 13 year old GIRLS???? WTF?? I'm with Muck.. salvage the livestock but ditch the water. Seriously? Two 13 year old GIRLS??? I'm sorry if this offends anyone greatly but there's some seriously bad parenting happening there.. :cry:

edit: i hope it was just pee..

Bloodasp
04-19-2010, 10:40 PM
That's really gross. Sorry for what they did to you, not just your tank. I am with kien hoping it's just pee. I am betting that you can still reuse most of your stuff, probably wash some of your hardware pretty well and replace as much of the water as you could. And do probably more water changes than normal just to get whatever is still in the sand and rocks out. I just hope none of your livestock died due to this.

mycat99
04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
it was more then just pee /my wife almost threw up when she saw the tank.most of the fish where dead .i didnt even want fix it but had no way to get around it .of the 7 fish i had 2 are alive but look very bad .i might have to put them out of there missery .

kien
04-19-2010, 11:57 PM
That is very sad to hear.. But mostly it makes me angry to hear. It is one thing to spray paint profanity all over the place or break into someones car to steal some change but when loss of life is involved.. Oh man.

golf nut
04-20-2010, 12:07 AM
That's a couple of sick kids.

globaldesigns
04-20-2010, 12:22 AM
I don't know what to say... I agree, some very bad parenting, or lack of.

Hope things go ok.