PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor (treat red bugs) - can it be simply praziquantel???

vaporize
04-19-2010, 04:09 AM
Let me repost my question here since the ignorant and arrogant RC moderator decided to exercise their dictatorship.

NOTE: Interceptor is a dog de-wormer that requires vet's approval. This thread's purpose is not to ask or tell you where you can buy it. But the possibility that this is not really the drug that is required to treat red bugs, the solution could be simpler using readily available aquarium drugs.

While doing my purchase of Interceptor drugs, I came across their medical content disclaimer on the ingredients. It seems it only contains praziquantel and Milbemycin oxime at around a 9:1 ratio (majority of it being praziquantel).

That lead me to the question on whether the other 10% ingredient Milbemycin oxime help if at all on the killing of redbugs at all. Maybe all it is needed is the right quality of praziquantel and the other ingredient is not important at all.

If that is the case, that will solve alot of our 'quest' to buy interceptor for red bugs, pay the vet etc. and just use our aquarium everyday prazi de-wormers.

Any thoughts or fellow hobbyist have try just using prazi and if it is enough.

SOURCE: http://www.surveymaster.com/prod2942.htm

Seamazter
04-19-2010, 04:21 AM
Taggin along.

chandigz
04-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Milbimycin oximine is the active ingredient in interceptor. I don't believe prazi was part of the original interceptor. It is just recently that it has started to contain prazi.

foreverfortune
04-19-2010, 08:31 AM
http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic45859.html

almost at the end of the page he explains how he discovered interceptor as the red bug solution with Milbemycin Oxime being the active ingredient.

golf nut
04-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Let me repost my question here since the ignorant and arrogant RC moderator decided to exercise their dictatorship.

I cannot answer the technical side of the question but it does seem a little harsh to have the post closed like that, it looks like he didn't even read what you had written.