PDA

View Full Version : Overflow design question

Palytoxinhallucinations
04-19-2010, 03:17 AM
So I am getting a tank built 24x22x20 with a 24x14x15 (inches) sump, and a return pump that will move about 300 gph (after losses) through the system. Getting 3 holes drilled in the center in the bottom of the tank because I don't want any plumbing outside the tank/stand. So I was thinking 1" bulkheads and pipe for the main drain (with gate valve) and EM drain, and 3/4" bulkhead and pvc pipe for the return. I wouldn't mind making the drains a bit bigger but would like the internal overflow box to be as small as possible. I'm pretty sure the 1" drains can handle the flow I'll have but I've been running sumpless for years so what do I know. Can anyone think of a reason I might later slap myself for using 1" ?

mark
04-19-2010, 04:35 AM
1" will be okay with a Herbie @ 300gph (potentially a lot more, here (http://www.beananimal.com/articles/hydraulics-for-the-aquarist.aspx))

lorenz0
04-19-2010, 04:43 AM
With a tank that size 1" drains are more than enough. As for your return pump, 300gph isn't much. If your willing to upgrade the pump look for something that will be around the 500 marker. I had an issue with one of my tanks and had no movement in my sump due to a under rated pump. just something to think about

Palytoxinhallucinations
04-19-2010, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the replies (and the link) I think I'll stick with the 1" drains, and as for the pump I figure about 300 gph
after head loss and such, the pump is actually rated higher than that. Is that not enough flow through a sump with about 15 gallons of water in it?