PDA

View Full Version : Now this is an interesting DIY (Thread form RC)

jgoldsney
10-24-2003, 05:51 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=89b59a278539bbddb07e076c682d826a&threadid=253928

This has realy got me thinking......
Any of you DIY guru's tried something like this?

JG

Lofus
10-24-2003, 09:24 PM
It is an interesting idea: remove the impeller from the pump housing and do a bunch of work to put a propeller onto the shaft so that you can enclose it in a "safety housing".

Haven't you just modified a pump to be less efficient in moving water?

Jim

StirCrazy
10-24-2003, 10:22 PM
the problem is that the impeller will put a revers pressure on the shaft and this will cause it to push into the housing harder and burn out a lot faster.

Steve

jgoldsney
10-27-2003, 02:26 PM
Well I have been thinking about this a bit this weekend..

Lofus - This is a DIY take off of the Tunze stream style pumps and I would hardly say that they are inefficiant at moving water. To my understanding the prop moves a higher volume of water at a lower rate so rather than the typical jet from a normal pwerhead you get a wider flow at a slightly lower velocity but much more volume moved. (Hmmm it is still early so this may not make sense)

StirCrazy-

I had wondered about that....I wonder if there is anything that could be done to resolve this (would a small disk of teflon improve this?)[/b]

I wonder how the Tunze pumps get around this...
Was this what caused the pumps with the Reeftec mod to crater?

JG

StirCrazy
10-27-2003, 11:33 PM
you need to get away from a mag drive style set up and go to one that actualy uses thrust pads.

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
12-03-2003, 05:01 PM
What about using a small Rio powerhead and use the shaft from a larger Rio, the rios have a hole where the impeller comes.. (I haven't got a clue the technical terms) When you clean your Rio, you take off the outter guard that keeps big crap out of the impeller, then there is the part you turn that holds the shaft in place... That part has a hole, if you used a longer shaft couldn't that work? You'd have to drill the hole out a bit to allow the shaft to turn.....