PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint shrimp eating mushroom coral???

marknash
04-18-2010, 11:54 PM
so we took the plunge today and purchased our first corals for our tank.. we got a few green striped mushrooms, and some button polyps. we put them in and they both appear to be doing well opening and such.. but our peppermint shrimp keeps picking at our mushrooms? are they supposed to eat these? is he gunna eat all of em? we had originally got the peppermint for aptasia.. but i didnt realize it would pick on our new mushroom.. is this normal? or has anyone else had this problem before?

saltwaterseahorses
04-19-2010, 12:00 AM
my peppermint used to never even touch my mushroom but then again my mushrooms HUGE!

saltwaterseahorses
04-19-2010, 12:01 AM
it could be some food or algae or ick or something on the mushroom coral because thats what peppermint shrimp are for is ick, and extra foood

NU-2reef
04-19-2010, 12:18 AM
well first thing that comes to mind when you say "eating mushrooms" is that you may have been sold a camelback shrimp(coral munchers) which look somewhat similar to an untrained eye. some lfs may unknowingly sell them as peppermints.

another thought is that it is simply doing its job and cleaning the rock the coral is on.

very rarely will you find a peppermint eating coral. rare but i know only one person who was addement on the pepprmint eating his zoas.

ps. the peppermint will only eat the aiptaisia when it is really hungry. this means if it is getting enough food during feeding time then it may not have the appetite for aiptaisa

marknash
04-19-2010, 12:52 AM
oh geez... am looking at pics of the shrimp youre talking about.. and i really cant tell the difference between the two. there is no obvious hump really on our shrimp. are their stripe patterns the same? is there any other way to tell them apart?

and yah we kinda knew it was a shot in the dark for it to eat our aptasia.. but we figured it couldnt hurt to try.. lol

NU-2reef
04-19-2010, 01:25 AM
really hard to tell. mainly the white stiping on the camelback should give it away. where as the stripes on a peppermint are more red and translucent. no real WHITE.

http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?370196-Differences-between-Peppermint-Shrimp-and-Camelback-Shrimp.

see this link. i didnt really read it but it may help.

another link.
http://www.siamreefclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23277

marknash
04-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Ah that did help. its definately a peppermint shrimp.
he seems to have left the mushroom alone for right now.. maybe he was just cleaning stuff off it.. the one small mushroom is definately damaged.. maybe it wasnt doing well to begin with.
everything seems to be interested in these mushrooms, the turbo snails, our blue leg hermit, the peppermint shrimp.. lol

am feeling pretty excited with our first addition of corals
(mushroom, and button polyp)

how fast can we keep adding new corals?
any suggestions as to what our next coral addition should be ?

NU-2reef
04-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Ah that did help. its definately a peppermint shrimp.
he seems to have left the mushroom alone for right now.. maybe he was just cleaning stuff off it.. the one small mushroom is definately damaged.. maybe it wasnt doing well to begin with.
everything seems to be interested in these mushrooms, the turbo snails, our blue leg hermit, the peppermint shrimp.. lol

am feeling pretty excited with our first addition of corals
(mushroom, and button polyp)

glad that helped ya. normally any new rock will get investigated by the clean up crew. pretty normal. the shrimp was likely picking at the mucous the mushroom has on it from shipping/acclimating.

first what kind of lights do you have?

as for your next coral....... its your call really. ricordea mushrooms are my favorites for begginers. most soft coral will be okay for starters.

"begginer coral" list:
mushrooms -many varieties
zoanthids/palythoas.
green star polyps.- start with small colony. they grow really fast
xenia- also grow like weeds
leaather corals- devils hand / toadstool / tree corals /

and as you get confident start with LPS like:
frogspawn / torch / hammer corals--- "easy LPS"

just a quick list of what i reccommend. adding coral can be done as your budget allows but go slow let it grow. always research before you buy.

marknash
04-19-2010, 03:06 AM
we currently have a coralife aqualight t5 high output dual lamp with 1- 38 W actinic and 1 - 39 w 10 000k

Madreefer
04-19-2010, 04:10 AM

A good start would be to describe your system a bit and how long it's been running and water parameters.

marknash
04-19-2010, 05:35 PM
hmm okay :)
well we have a 46g bow front tank, been running since july. we have a crappy toms aquarium skimmer/pump combo.. with an auto fill
( we think our lfs.. just sells us the stuff that benefits him at the time.. we had no idea the pump was not very good.. lesson learned)
we have koralia powerheads 1,2,3 (we were having cyano problems.. so we were told to add anohter powerhead and reduce our lighting time do you think this is too much flow for our tank?)
we keep our temp at 79-80, sg 1.025 ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate less than 5
we have about 40lbs of live rock
2 clownfish, 2 bengai cardinals, peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp various hermit crabs, 1 turbo snail, and 3 sand sifting snails
we just added a small green striped mushroom colony, and a small button polyp colony. we leave our lights on for 8 hours. we do weekly water changes of 10g ( is this too much?? ) we have a double t5 fixture anything else you need me to add?

TheMikey
04-19-2010, 06:30 PM
My peppermint shrimp was picking at the tentacles on my new plate yesterday. I've now sold him off to another person with a FOWLR setup. He did clean up all the aptaista in the tank nicely, but I didn't want him bothering my corals.

marknash
04-19-2010, 06:38 PM
this peppermint shrimp wont leave the rock! hes demolished one full mushroom now.. and it looks like hes starting on another one. sigh.
we might have to do the same thing and sell this lil guy and sell him.
is he not getting enough food.. and deciding to tear up our mushrooms ? is there anything i can do to prevent him from wrecking the whole new coral?

NU-2reef
04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
i have no idea why your shrimp is misbehaving. but to protect the coral, try to cover it with something like a small blueberry basket from the grocery store or a plastic water bottle cut in half. or whatever you come up with.

mushrooms are pretty tough and can come back from almost nothing.

Madreefer
04-19-2010, 09:21 PM
hmm okay :)
well we have a 46g bow front tank, been running since july. we have a crappy toms aquarium skimmer/pump combo.. with an auto fill
( we think our lfs.. just sells us the stuff that benefits him at the time.. we had no idea the pump was not very good.. lesson learned)
we have koralia powerheads 1,2,3 (we were having cyano problems.. so we were told to add anohter powerhead and reduce our lighting time do you think this is too much flow for our tank?)
we keep our temp at 79-80, sg 1.025 ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate less than 5
we have about 40lbs of live rock
2 clownfish, 2 bengai cardinals, peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp various hermit crabs, 1 turbo snail, and 3 sand sifting snails
we just added a small green striped mushroom colony, and a small button polyp colony. we leave our lights on for 8 hours. we do weekly water changes of 10g ( is this too much?? ) we have a double t5 fixture anything else you need me to add?

You should also be testing for calcium, magnesium, alkalinity and ph. Not too sure about that skimmer. Never heard of it. Assume it is a HOB. The flow is not too much. I really don't think that you have a peppermint shrimp, sounds more like a camelback. I would recommend you take it back to the LFS you got it from and than go find another LFS. I'm sure there is members on here that can direct you to a good one in your area. If you find a coral you like most places will let you put a hold on it. Do some research on it and than decide if you have the proper means to keep it alive and thriving and if it is compatible with other things in your tank. A good book to start with is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. A little research saves alot of money and heartache.

marknash
04-19-2010, 11:34 PM
ah thats a good idea.. will cover it up right away.
thank you all for the great advice.

marknash
04-19-2010, 11:42 PM
You should also be testing for calcium, magnesium, alkalinity and ph. Not too sure about that skimmer. Never heard of it. Assume it is a HOB. The flow is not too much. I really don't think that you have a peppermint shrimp, sounds more like a camelback. I would recommend you take it back to the LFS you got it from and than go find another LFS. I'm sure there is members on here that can direct you to a good one in your area. If you find a coral you like most places will let you put a hold on it. Do some research on it and than decide if you have the proper means to keep it alive and thriving and if it is compatible with other things in your tank. A good book to start with is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. A little research saves alot of money and heartache.

thank you for being so helpful! we do test our ph, but not our calcium and mg. we do have test kits for it.. so we will begin doing so.
my shrimp is very translucent. there are two markings on it that it says from your articles that help to tell its a peppermint shrimp.. so im very certain its a peppermint. Am just keeping an eye on him.. if he continues to pick at the mushroom i will take him back to our LFS
thanks again!!